Replacement headset, what do i need?

rokkala
rokkala Posts: 649
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Bear with me. Headsets and bottom brackets are two areas on bikes I have yet to understand.

Had nothing but trouble with the Ribble headset that came with my Sportive Racing, so was going to buy a new one. On the spec list that came with bike my current headset is listed as: Ribble Headset Unbranded 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45.

So what am i looking for here? Bottom part of the headset is inside the frame, but what does ITS stand for and what relevance does the 45 x 45 have?

Have some money to spend so was looking at possibly getting a Chirs King one, with me being immensely p*ssed off with the current headset, the 10yr guarantee looks very attractive. Is there any Chris King headset that would fit the bill? Only ones i seem to find look like the ones where the bottom part of the headset is outside the frame.

If anybody has some good shouts on high quality, durable headsets that would do then i'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Clueless

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Chris King don't do integrated headsets.

You need something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/FSA_O ... 360038573/

45x45 means it's a campag style integrated headset
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rokkala
    Ah, that would make sense why i couldn't appear to find any then :lol:

Cheers red
  • redddraggon
    For the best matching headset, you also need to make sure that you get one with the correct OD (outer diameter of the headtube) so that the conical cap thing is the right size.

I don't know what the OD of the ribble but I'd guess 46mm, a quick measure should confirm.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rokkala
    Don't want no mushroom headset! :D

Just reading review of the Campag record Hidden headset http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Campa ... 360007773/

Guy on there says that:

"This hidden headset is top quality. The bearing races are smooth as silk and the carbon looks very cool. Took it apart after 1000km of all weather riding and the grease was still completely clean. Note that this comes with a 'star' nut which is not really suitable for carbon fibre steerer tubes, you should buy an aftermarket expander bung to replace the star nut and bolt assembly."

Why is a star nut not really compatible with a carbon steerer?
  • redddraggon
    You still need to get the cap to high the right OD even if it's a low profile one.

It would put grooves into the CF that could cause failure. Starnuts are for alloy steerers (some CF steerers like Cannondale can use starnuts, but they are a rarity).

Your fork should already be using a bung if it requires one. You can use the same one with the next headset.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rokkala
    And what is a 'TTC' headset that i am seeing as an option when looking at integrated headsets? Always seems more expensive but no description on websites, whats the benefits?