Removing threaded stem issue

Teshu
Teshu Posts: 28
edited February 2010 in Workshop
I'm trying to remove the threaded stem from my headset and have a look at the bearings etc in the headset.

I've removed the bolt (Ithought it'd raise up so I could tap it down but it just kept slipping back down till it came off). My stem dosen't want to come up and I can't seam to shift the top lock nut in any way. Have I done something wrong?
The bung from the bottom of the bolt has dropped out the bottom of the headset area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Teshu wrote:
    I'm trying to remove the threaded stem from my headset and have a look at the bearings etc in the headset.

I've removed the bolt (Ithought it'd raise up so I could tap it down but it just kept slipping back down till it came off). My stem dosen't want to come up and I can't seam to shift the top lock nut in any way. Have I done something wrong?
    The bung from the bottom of the bolt has dropped out the bottom of the headset area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Alex

More oil. Bigger hammer.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    The stem might have corroded to the extent that it's expanded the steerer tube, creating a mechanical interlock that will be difficult to seperate. That was the biggest problem with the old system that the threadless headset solved. Hopefully a bigger hammer will do it, but you may have to cut the stem out and hope the fork steerer is salvageable.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    You wont move the lock nut until the stem is off.
    Pour some thin oil from the bottom of the fork towards the stem and leave it to soak a while.
    Do you still have the front of the bike in tact, like the wheel on and handle bars?You can use these as leverage to move the stem.
  • Teshu
    I suspect this may end up going the same way as my alloy seat post, that's not been happy - siezed in.

What should I be hitting with a hammer the top of the stem itself?

I can see this being corroded in too, although it's always been smooth to turn.

I was mostly trying to take the stem out so a) I know how to do it on my other bike I just finished building up (except the headset forks handlebars) and b) so I can have the slightly longer stem on my other bike at some time.

Cheers
  • balthazar
    I'd be inclined to leave it be, if it doesn't succumb to aggressive persuasion. Depending on your setup, you may find room to dissemble the headset in place, but full removal of the stem may be destructive to stem and fork.
  • Teshu
    Well I reckon I'll leave it then.

Going to put the frame away till summer and then see if a LBS can ream out old seat post and then maybe I'll build a fix hub bike for winter.

On the plus side this seams to be a good reason to buy a carbon fork with thread less stem for my current bike. Can't wait to broach this topic with my better half! :D
  • balthazar
    Don't forget to put the wedge back and tighten it up! The stem might choose the "wrong" moment to work free...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If the expander has come off I would not consider using the bike. The stem may be well seized in but sods law says it will come free while you are riding it. Seal the hole in the top and turn the bike upside down. Pour Plus-gas or similar into the steerer tube so it is above the end of the stem and leave for a few days. Then try twisting the bars against the forks. With luck it will come free.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Apply oil / Plusgas ideally from the underside and leave to soak. Take off the front wheel and hold the forks and frame in a Workmate - grasp the bars and twist firmly. If the stem still is stuck, depending on the shape of the quill portion of the stem, it's often better to use a long drift up the fork steerer to try and free it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Teshu
    I'll try soaking it in plus gas and seeing what happens. I'm a bit clueless about this section of my bike. Not taken this bit to pieces before so unsure how it all should come apart.

Thanks for the advice.
  • I've used Coke to break a number of stuck seat posts, BB's and stems. Orient the biek so the coke sits on the part that is stuck and wait a day or so before trying to break it free. Good luck!
    When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    bigger hammer, try hitting the stem DOWN into the steerer, as you can really go for it, this should then break the corrosion bond, and make it easyer to knock it out
    I like bikes and stuff