Which On-One Bike?

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Right I have narrowed down my choices after much thought and advice from various people on here in other threads - thanks chaps by the way.

I am buying a hardtail (maybe rigid for a while) from On-One for an absolute max of one grand. At at moment I have a Meta 55 with new SLX bits on it - I like this bike for blasting around the Lakes on. However I also want something for 'local' trails, bridleways, the red route as Gisburn forest (great fun) - something that can be ridden in anger but is mostly XC. I mostly do trail riding & aggressive/clumbsy XC - no jumping & no racing at the moment. It may be used for commuting at some point also. I want & need gears and I would like something that is reasonably light. I have decided against a 29er because of a lack of cheap sus. fork upgrades, my garage full of 26 inch tyres and my perfectly reasonable height which I don't have an issue with at all...

Anyway the two most likely options are:

A) Scandal 26er (scandium alu)
B) Inbred (steel)

Possible but less likely options are:
C) A steel 456 - my mate reckons this is the bike for my riding style but I think it's not enough of a contrast with my Meta. I'd have 2 trail bikes then & neither would be a lightweight What do you think?
D) A Ti or even Carbon 456 frame only - move all the bits across from the Meta 55 (most would fit) and just have one MTB. Possible but I might miss having FS!

Any opinions on these choices is welcome but I'm a waiting for a cycle scheme for Planet X/ On-One voucher, so I will be buying a geared 26inch wheeled bike/frame from this company - other brand options won't help at this stage. That I have decided on!

Thanks for your help.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i'd go for the inbred
  • Don't you have to take off just over £100 from your £1,000 budget for the on-one "cyclescheme fee"?

And are you not also limited to only being able to chose one of their pre-built options?

The above is speculation only, just what I understand from looking on the on-one website
  • passout
    Don't you have to take off just over £100 from your £1,000 budget for the on-one "cyclescheme fee"?

And are you not also limited to only being able to chose one of their pre-built options?

The above is speculation only, just what I understand from looking on the on-one website

I have budgeted for the fee (1100 in total).
    I am chiefly looking at pre built bikes anyway but I undestand that they are flexible.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I'm going to "stick my neck out" here and say that I don't think On-One / Planet-X bikes are normally as good value as they used to be.

If I had to choose from their bikes, it would be either an Uncle John Cross (at some point made into full disc brake setup) or a Scandal.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    if you want lightweight id go for the scandal as its 2lbs lighter than the inbred and the anodised finish is a lot nicer and tougher than the easily chipped inbred paint
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • NitrousOxide I agree. The frames on their own are not too bad, but the finished builds dont seem to offer quite the same VFM as say Merlin for example.

It took me about 10mins to spec a build on a scandal with full SLX group, crossride wheels, reba SL fork and FSA finishing kit for under a grand. Compare that with the pre-built scandal on-one are offering and they cant even come close.
  • Well I think I can help.

I have a Meta 5 and On-One Inbred and can say that I'd rather have got the Scandal in hindsight (not that I could have afforded it). Once I'd built up the Inbred with bits off eBay it ended up weighing as much as the Meta, so the contrast isn't there.

They say steel is more comfy than alu, but if I really need loads of comfort then I'll just go out on the Meta. An alu bike would compliment the Meta better for those long all-day or overnight rides.
  • passout
    NitrousOxide I agree. The frames on their own are not too bad, but the finished builds dont seem to offer quite the same VFM as say Merlin for example.

It took me about 10mins to spec a build on a scandal with full SLX group, crossride wheels, reba SL fork and FSA finishing kit for under a grand. Compare that with the pre-built scandal on-one are offering and they cant even come close.

Hi
    I didn't understand the last paragraph sorry. Do you mean that Merlin is cheaper than the pre built scandals or the on-one custom bike builder thing is cheaper than the pre-built bikes??
  • passout
    fanatic278 wrote:
    Well I think I can help.

I have a Meta 5 and On-One Inbred and can say that I'd rather have got the Scandal in hindsight (not that I could have afforded it). Once I'd built up the Inbred with bits off eBay it ended up weighing as much as the Meta, so the contrast isn't there.

They say steel is more comfy than alu, but if I really need loads of comfort then I'll just go out on the Meta. An alu bike would compliment the Meta better for those long all-day or overnight rides.

Yes, that's interesting & kind of what I was thinking. A scandal with 2.35 tyres isn't going to much less comfy than an Inbred with 2.35 tyres is it?

Can I ask, when do you use the Meta and when the Inbred or is it more random really?
  • I've not long had the Inbred, so only been out on it five times max. I use it for a quick blast up and down Scolty hill (mix of fire roads, rocky singletrack, and a full-on downhill course). :?

I bought it for the long rides I do round Aberdeenshire. We sometimes head out somewhere in the wilderness (mostly landrover tracks), stay in a bunkhouse overnight, then head back the next day. There's often hike-a-bike sections, so the Meta was a bit too awkward to carry on my back, with not having any seat stays.

The Meta is for trail centres, downhill or Alps.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I also wanted a decent hardtail to compliment my 6inch travel "trail bike". I went for the white inbred (see link below) and I am well happy with it. I built mine up with XT and a set of revelations and it came in at 26lb which is plenty light enough in my opinion.

Its been up to gisburn a few times and its great...so much faster on the climbs and fire roads than the FS. Even downhill it feels good, its not super compliant but it does seem less harsh than my alu hardtail.

I would definitely recommend the standard inbred if you're looking for a contrast to the meta, the slacker and heavier 456 although a great frame would maybe not give you the difference you're looking for.

Spec depends on you're budget obviously but for a grand I reckon you could get an SLX group on there...Im sure on-one will do you a custom build if you don't like any of the "off the peg" builds. They're a good bunch down there.
  • Am I right in saying the Scandal is the same geometry as the Inbred? If so, you get all the benefits of the Inbred, but with less weight. Whilst you could get an Inbred to weight the same as a Scandal, you'd have to throw a lot of money at it.

I'm not sold on the steel comfort argument. It might be true, but how noticeable is the difference really? Add fat tyres and carbon seatpost to a Scandal and I'm sure it'll be comparable.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    ive just built up a ragley mmmbop and with the long post and 2.3" tires its feels as comfy as my old inbred
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • passout wrote:
    NitrousOxide I agree. The frames on their own are not too bad, but the finished builds dont seem to offer quite the same VFM as say Merlin for example.

Hi
    I didn't understand the last paragraph sorry. Do you mean that Merlin is cheaper than the pre built scandals or the on-one custom bike builder thing is cheaper than the pre-built bikes??

I think CWNT and myself are thinking on similar lines here... Their frame prices are still competitive, but as soon as you look as getting a complete bike from them, On-One prices are awful... to put it bluntly.

It is reasonable to expect that buying a complete bike should cost less than buying those same components individually brand new.

On-One , from a business strategy, have every right to charge those prices. They may have order backlogs for building up bikes, due to their good reputation in recent years. Perhaps they have limited staff for building steeds in the current financial times, so they are pushing up the price to maximise their profits.

However, as consumers, it is our obligation to hunt for deals, especially in these days of "small world" and the interweb! :wink:
    =====================================================================
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • i have a ti-456 and i got to say i love it. I have hardly ridden my full-sus bike since i bought it. I agree not all on-one prices are cheap.
    i reckon i built it for around 1100 pounds there are some areas that need improve on mine, i am hoping to address this in the spring
    if you are around my area and would like to try it feel free to contact me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, the scandal and inbred have the same geometry. The 456 seems overkill for the type of riding described.
  • Yes, that's about it. Sorry I wasnt very clear.

I mean I can buy a scandal frame, then spec it with the components listed and still have it come in under £1k. The scandal that on-one sell for the same price comes with significantly lower spec, but the Merlin Malt you get for the same price is significantly better spec. It looks a bit like on-one balance their cheap frame only prices by increasing the price of the rest of the build.

I know it's not *entirely* relevant to you, with it being a cyclescheme bike an all. Just something I thought you should be aware of (assuming you werent already).
  • So buy the frame from On One,then go for one of the groupset/wheel deals from Merlin,and one of their cheap Rockshox Rebas.

Examples:

Reba SL forks £230

XT groupset and hadnbuilt xt/717wheels £650
    SLX groupset £350 and add MT65 wheels for £185=£535
    New 590 Deore groupset with MT15 wheels for £300,which is an absolute belter OF A deal given that the new Deore stuff is very good.

Would probably struggle to bring an XT equipped Scandal in under a grand once you add finishing kit,tyres,headset,etc but doable with SLX,and easy with new Deore.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • passout
    OK, some helpful advice chaps. I've made something approaching a decision. I am going to get an 18'' (I'm on the cusp sizing wise) Scandal 26er or Geared Inbred 26er depending on what offers are on & what's in stock when my cyclescheme voucher comes through. I don't think it will make too much difference which one I go for - one's lighter, ones a bit more comfortable. Will speak to One One about custom builds at the time. The scandal looks the most likely.

Thanks one and all.
  • passout
    ...unless I get a 29er of course!