thinking about new forks

chuckernator
chuckernator Posts: 9
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to get new forks for my GT Chucker 1 but I am not sure what size is too big. Im looking to get Manitou Travis Single Intrinsic forks but im not sure if 180 mm is too big, can any one help me? my price range is about £300 as im not always using it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    way to long.

it is a 100m designed bike.you could maybe get away with 120mm fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chucker is a jump bike that comes with 80-100mm forks if I remember correctly from memory...

You don't want to be putting 180mm forks on there... you need a different frame!
  • What forks do you have now?
  • at the moment i have 120mm Marzocchi XC600 TST2 running really well but had them since they came out
  • also it is a 2006 model and has no original parts and is completely different to the new models and the top tube is higher and the geometry is to old school downhill bikes
  • I think you need some Marzocchi Super Monster T's!

(Far right)

pbpic2020971.jpg

Spec Sheet
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also it is a 2006 model and has no original parts and is completely different to the new models and the top tube is higher and the geometry is to old school downhill bikes
    OK so in that case no more than 130mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers guys ill see what i can find at 130mm thank you for all your help, i think the Monster T's are a bit much but cheers
  • cheers guys ill see what i can find at 130mm thank you for all your help, i think the Monster T's are a bit much but cheers
    Nahhhh, you'll be fine!

Don't listen to Nicklous, you're frame will be good upto about 300mm of travel. Get some MX forks on there if you can!

(This information may not be accurate.... :lol: )
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke