What Pedals for my new bike ?

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Ive just been down to my LBS and have reserved myself an Orbea Aqua TTG 2010 in anticipation of my C2W voucher coming. Ive got a voucher for £1000 and i realise i could have spent more on a bike but i wanted to buy some shoes and pedals with the remaining £150.

Im really looking forward to getting it and riding it but could anyone recomend some shoes and pedals and possibly anything else i can make the £150 stretch to.
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    For shoes, NEVER compromise on fit. It's worth spending the majority of what's left to get the best possible fit, I've never come across a person who's said a bad word against SIDI.

Try these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29825

Rocky Mountain Cycles have these available at the moment for £90 8)

As for pedals, well, using Tiagra you won't be picking against Shimano like a snobbish Campag user (who would that be) :lol: so how about a pair of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3760

The £8 that's left could get you a couple of spare inner tubes, tyre levers etc :D
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    +1 for Sidi. I have 2 pairs of the Ergo 2 carbons, and I can't see myself ever buying anything different.
  • teulk
    Thanks for the recomendations, i have SPD's on my mountain bike at the moment - i was thinking about trying something like this for pedals

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13079

I know i could save some money and use my current shoes if i stick to SPD's so that would be the wise choice.................how much difference would i notice using "look" pedals ?

As for being "snobbish" - i will use absolutely anything :)
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • doesn't it come with look keo easy pedals?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    We have an Orbea dealer in Tyne & Wear?
  • teulk
    As for coming with pedals fitted im sure the dealer said it didnt - i may have miss heared but ive looked the specs and it said it does have them. I will have to ask again.
    The bike shop is called KB CYCLES. Newburn.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    teulk, you'd probably get far more replies if you put something like 'What pedals' in your subject header.
    You've put the bike name in, which gives no indication of the question you're asking...

I use both Shimano and Sidi shoes, on SPD_SL pedals.
    There's no comparison for the Sidi's, the Shimano's are good quality, too.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Keo Classics cheaper here:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/road-bike ... edals.html

Re shoes - you need to try some on. It doesn't matter how good they are if they don't fit properly. Sidi's are fantastic, but too narrow for my feet (and the wide fitting is too wide). DMT's fit like a glove for me though.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • teulk
    hopper1 wrote:
    teulk, you'd probably get far more replies if you put something like 'What pedals' in your subject header.

Your absolutley right :wink: Point taken and change made. :D
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    teulk wrote:
    As for coming with pedals fitted im sure the dealer said it didnt - i may have miss heared but ive looked the specs and it said it does have them. I will have to ask again.
    The bike shop is called KB CYCLES. Newburn.

If the spec said they are supplied then they should be, don't just take the dealers word for it.

I've been into KB cycles before and they seem a decent bunch.

To use the geordie analogy - 'shy bairns get nowt' !!!!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    specialized shoes for me i have to say they are so comfy...
    i have a mountain bike pair spd and a pair of carbon pro road specialized too!!
    i find alot of the others too narrow.

thats all my opinion!!

as for pedals i have ultegra spd-sl but been thinking of changing them but dont know what for.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • teulk
    If it comes with pedals (which im sure it does) then great as it means i can buy more goodies.

The only thing thats moving me away from "Road Pedals" and back towards SPD's is the fact that walking in them seems very clumsey compared to a set of M520's and some MTB shoes. Then again i dont do much walking im my current MTB shoes
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • I changed to look pedals when i got my first road bike. I find the bigger platform is far more comfortable than mtb spds. I got shimano R086 shoes and they are great. suggest you pick up some cleat covers though to walk about in as the look cleats are not the most durable.

Cheers
    Paul
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Lagavulin wrote:
    We have an Orbea dealer in Tyne & Wear?

KB Cycles at Newburn
    Getting there
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Keo Classics cheaper here:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/road-bike ... edals.html

Re shoes - you need to try some on. It doesn't matter how good they are if they don't fit properly. Sidi's are fantastic, but too narrow for my feet (and the wide fitting is too wide). DMT's fit like a glove for me though.
    Even cheaper here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/look/keo-classic-cromo-pedal-oe--ec019239?query=look%20keo
    Had them for a few weeks now. I find it a bit hard to get the second foot in after moving off (coming from double sided SPDs) but once it's in they're great.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Teshu
    Teshu Posts: 28
    I've just bought some look keo classic and have previousley had the old style look and some older time pedals.

Look pedals are IMO really good, took a little while to get used to the Keo's but am now really happy with them. They seam nice and lite and once I'd got the hang of clicking into them smoothly and adjusted the tension they feel really firm and connected to the shoe.

Shoe's I just think Sidi rule. Got a very old pair of decent sidi's and they still feel fab.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    As for shoes, I'm for going with whatever fits you. I guess I'm lucky in that respect because I'm easy to fit and have little in the way of foot issues. Most "normal shoes give me no problems and cycling shoes are pretty much the same way. However if Sidi fits you then by all means stay with them. As for pedals all the major players seem to make a decent set of lower priced ones. The Look ones should do you just fine although I've never had a pair. I use Shimano(basically the same thing as Look) and have no problems
    and I doubt you will have any with Look. It's a proven pedal. Lots of people use them.