Scandal - 26 or 29 inch wheels.

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Should I get a 26er or 29er if getting a geared On-One Scandal?

I'm a shade under 5'9'', with a 31'' inside leg and of average weight & proportions. I ride trail centres (red usually) and quite alot of natural bridleways. I'm pretty risk averse for a MTBer and don't do jumps if I help it. That said I do ride as fast as most people down rocky sections of the trail. I tend to do long rides - especially in South Cumbria. I have a FS bike (Meta) and I'm looking to get a hartail or maybe even a rigid as a second MTB - it must be fairly light. I am considering a KHS Ailite (26er) but I'm also looking at the On-One Scandal (26er) at a slightly higher price (about 1k). Reading up on this bike, I could get a 29er for the same price. Would it suit someone of my stature? Is there any significant advantage in getting a 29er?

Cheers.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You should test it if you can - only way!
  • passout
    supersonic wrote:
    You should test it if you can - only way!

I agree which is why I'm thinking 26 inch.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    just bought the 26" scandal frame for the Mrs..5'8" would always go 26" at this size as feels much easier to handle frankly. Frame is good value...going to build up as soon as bought fork
  • Have ridden a 29er Scandal back to back with my own 26er Giant XTC,which I guess is a close comparison.

29er was significantly faster once up to speed,soaked up the bumps better,but at the expense of agility especailly through singletrack.

I`d say if you are looking to cover big miles over open ground,fire roads or bridlepaths go for the 29er,but if you want to ride more technical stuff stick with the 26er.

On close inspection the frame finish isn`t quite as nice as what you see on bigger brands,but the price weight and performance is spot on.

One other consideraion is that 29er forks,tyres and wheels aren`t as plentiful and are generally a fair bit more expensive than 26er parts.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I find my Panasonic 29er fine on tight singletrack, and more sure footed on gnarly or loose stuff, go 29!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    29er has many advantages, this is most apparent in a hard-tail.

There used to be a lack of parts for 29er, the only limited supply at the moment is for 6" forks, so you will be fine.

there are people 5'2 riding 29 and loving it.

Come over to the Dark Side, join the big wheelers.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant wrote:
    29er has many advantages, this is most apparent in a hard-tail.

There used to be a lack of parts for 29er, the only limited supply at the moment is for 6" forks, so you will be fine.

there are people 5'2 riding 29 and loving it.

Come over to the Dark Side, join the big wheelers.

But if you look on Merlin there are no 29er forks,tyres or wheels,and places like CRC and Wiggle don`t have as big a choice as they do in 26er parts.Most are near rrp too.

So yes you can get them but choice is narrowed and not so many bargains to be had if you are working to a budget.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • passout
    weeve wrote:
    just bought the 26" scandal frame for the Mrs..5'8" would always go 26" at this size as feels much easier to handle frankly. Frame is good value...going to build up as soon as bought fork

Which size frame did you go for - 16 inch?

Some excellent points made so far by everyone - thanks. Any more advice or 29 riders out there?
  • I've had my 29er Inbred for a month now, and I love it. I am a bit bigger than you at 6'5" though, which makes a difference. My previous bike was a 23.5" frame, and 26"wheels looked tiny on it. My Inbred (similar geometry to the ScandAl) is a 21" frame, and it looks in proportion with big wheels.

It actually handles lighter and quicker than my 26er did, there's no toe overlap, and it doesn't feel slow to accelerate at all. Downhill it races away, riding over the bumps and accelerating quickly.

If you think you want a rigid bike, then 29ers do give more comfort I find, and there's loads of room to put big tyres on the Scandal or Inbred. Tyres and tubes are not hard to get hold of, although less likely to be discounted. Rigid forks are plentiful and cheap, On One's carbon 29er forks for about £125 are great. Suspension forks are difficult! Rockshocks Reba, about £450 to £550, or 'zochhis a bit cheaper. I did spot some new for about 250 somewhere. Personally, suspension forks will be an upgrade in a year or two when they become a little more common.

At my size, a 29er seems natural, it is the right sort of proportions. At your height, it's a little less clear. I can recommend the bike, it's fabulous, but as others have said, you really need to try one to know if it suits you.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike