Garmin gps units....605 or 705?

rottitera02
rottitera02 Posts: 863
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, any of you use the garmin 605 or 705, what do you get as standard with each and which mapping is supplied with each,

Come on, give me your pro's and con's.......

Cheers.
2001 Cove Stiffee FR
Trek liquid 10
Dolan Hercules Carbon

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    With either you get the crap "Basemap" its useless, you can download free mapping thats made by anyone (its an opensource database) - http://www.openstreetmap.org/

There are a few other free mapping types, however you can buy Garmins UK topographic mapping which to be honest for the money is a friggin ripoff, but still far better than the base map. (You will need a 1gb+ SD card to get the entire UK on the garmin).

The missus bought my garmin as a surprise for xmas so she didnt know about the mapping, but Ive slowly come to learn how to use it properly and it isnt too bad, but I never woulda paid the £100 odd it is seperately, you can get package deals with it.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I've told you before, buy a map!!!!!

:wink:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    I have been disappointed in the offroad aspects of the mapping on my 705. Its fine with road work, but memory maps software works better than the TOPO.

Now I tend to use it as a datalogger offroad and work the route myself.

I am told if I spend more time with the memory maps software it will be better but haven't got round to that yet.

For better offroad map functionality I have read the Garmin Dakota is better.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    DamonC wrote:
    I have been disappointed in the offroad aspects of the mapping on my 705. Its fine with road work, but memory maps software works better than the TOPO.

Now I tend to use it as a datalogger offroad and work the route myself.

I am told if I spend more time with the memory maps software it will be better but haven't got round to that yet.

For better offroad map functionality I have read the Garmin Dakota is better.

You just need to learn how to properly use coursepoints / waypoints to mark the route and have the compass point you in the direction you need to go.

A very useful guide on the 605/705 - http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/?page_id=1212

Once you mastered it the topo mapping is fine (use bikely / bikehike etc to create a route).

But yes for true mapping, the OS maps used through the dakota or oregon are excellent, depends what you want from your gps.