Spring/Autumn jacket that is windproof and BREATHABLE???

a900ss
a900ss Posts: 91
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Guys,

I was out riding today in a cheap waterproof jacket and it was like a sauna, my sweat just couldn't escape.

I'm looking for a Spring/Autumn jacket that is windproof but also breathable. Ideally showerproof as well but the priority is certainly windproof and breathable.

Budget isn't too much of an issue, I want something that is good. Recommendations most welcome.

Thanks

PS - I have tried the search button but most jackets talk about waterproof rather than breathability/windproof.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
Diet started 1/1/2010

Comments

• I recently bought a Polaris Vortex jacket from my local shop.. light and breathable but windproof. Plenty warm enough too with a decent baselayer.

I reckon it should be fairly showerproof, especially with a wash in some NikWax..
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I use an Altura Nevis breathable waterproof jacket. Zip vented sides and vented back with arse flap. £40. Works fine, no complaints. Use base layers underneath, not been cold or wet yet.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I use an Altura Nevis breathable waterproof jacket. Zip vented sides and vented back with ars* flap. £40. Works fine, no complaints. Use base layers underneath, not been cold or wet yet.

Yeah the Nevis is a top jacket for the money, got one free with a years sub to MBR actually ;)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    the gore cosmo plus is pretty good
  • I'm a big outdoors person, and I do a lot of different sports, and for me there's only one name you should be looking at for those requirements, more so as I use mine for biking and the fit is perfect for such a activity,

Paramo

http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/shop/pr ... 83&xSec=13

That's my main one I use at the moment. I highly recommend you find a stockist local too you as they every single unit "fit's" a little different as no two are made the same, this for me is great as I get a perfect fit. Also the non light version is just as good, it's a bit of a debate at too which is 'better', I just preferred the sleeping bag texture of the light version.

As a guide of how good they are, Mountain Rescue use them, and they also no quibble replace a torn section of a garment free of charge if you send it back.
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    I ride hot so tend to have just a couple of thin layer, merino base and l/s jersey with a pertex shell on the top in all but freezing temps. My prejudice is for the Montane cycle shirt... Very lightweight and packs down to the size of an apple.

Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • Endura Stealth use all year round, well I do.
    So Far!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    miggers wrote:
    I ride hot so tend to have just a couple of thin layer, merino base and l/s jersey with a pertex shell on the top in all but freezing temps. My prejudice is for the Montane cycle shirt... Very lightweight and packs down to the size of an apple.

Pete

Thats exactly what I go for as well I hate bulky riding jackets much rather layer up with a Montane shell on top. Nothing worse than riding round in a mobile sauna if the temp goes up a bit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
  • a900ss
    a900ss Posts: 91
    Thanks for all your help guys. When I went to the store, most were just not right for my body (I have a long torso). The best fitting one was an Enduro Winchill, which I ended up buying. Went out in it today and it was great, just what I was looking for.

Thanks all.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
    Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • That means you didn't try my suggestion on :(

:lol: