SPD question - all the cons and none of the pros?

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
I know there are lots of SPD threads already but I searched and couldn't find anything specific so apologies if this has been raised before.

First time out using SPDs today, and I was a bit disappointed. I fell off a few times, but that's fine as it's what I expected - no big deal. I felt a bit 'restricted' but I guess this is something I'll get over as I get used to them.

The big 'let down' was that I was assuming that climbing would be (a lot) easier. As an unfit noob, I was hoping for the effect to be something like fitting a turbo, but if anything going uphill was more difficult than normal.

Is this par for the course when first using them? Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just being a wuss? :)

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Probably your technique that needs adjusting as you are now able to push on one pedal whilst pulling on the other using SPD's. The muscles at the rear of your leg will also need to develop with this style of pedaling.
  • Its just a case of getting use to them. For practice clippin in and out go between a door frame in doors, in terms of making life easier, eventually they will but you need to practice as its a different style. You should be pushing and pulling on the pedal creating more power through the bike.
  • I felt the same when first started to use but you just need to adjust your riding style i.e. keep feet flat on pedal. Clipping in and out gets easier the more worn cleat gets so does get better with use. I would say after a week 2 weeks maximum you will notice the difference.
    So Far!
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    Give it time buddy, you have to think the entire mechanics of your pedaling style are forced to change, foot placement etc...

You will get used to it and eventually you will get so used to it you'll be twisting your ankle out of flats (well i do and my mates rip me for it)

Try and learn that you can now use both legs on each half rotation... pulling up as almost as effective as pushing down. but the most satisfying thing about clipless is jumping and the bike joining you with little to no effort :wink:

Hope it goes well
  • Unfortunately, there are no 'magic beans' that make getting up hills easy. Pedalling technique and fitness both take time to develop but you will get there.

Stick with the SPDs - it's worth it in my opinion. I can't ride on flat pedals now. I don't feel safe without SPDs.

If you're having trouble unclipping then maybe you need slacken the tension adjuster off?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Stick with the SPDs - it's worth it in my opinion. I can't ride on flat pedals now. I don't feel safe without SPDs.

Definitely agree with that.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Stick with the flats - it's worth it in my opinion. I can't ride on SPD pedals now. I don't feel safe without flats.

;-)

Been loads of threads on this - generally go for what you feel is best. Try them out, test them, compare them. Maybe have both! Good pedalling technique is essential with both types of pedals.
  • flats and a pair of 5.10. soooo much better. if its a choice of having a bit more pedal power or falling on to some pointy boulders i know what i would chose. :roll:
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    zzzz... spds or flats discussions

Choose what you like. The argument that "gnarly" riders need flats is put to rest by plenty of world class DH riders using spds, likewise there are plenty of people that are more than capable of riding XC on flats.

Give it a few months and work out what you feel happiest with then you're sorted.
  • Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement, it's much appreciated.

Sorry, but it really wasn't intended to be another SPDs vs flats thread (although I feel BikeRadar is a bit short of them... :roll:). I was just asking for tips so that I could give SPDs a fair crack of the whip - once it's been cracked I'd like to think I'll be able to decide which I like best on my own :)

So it looks like whichever I go for, I need to work on my pedaling technique. So much for trying to cheat :lol:
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    Good uck Bill, been wondering about spds myself - also seen lots of debates, so keep us posted and depending on how you get on I may be swayed togive them a go!
    Ianl
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    Good uck Bill, been wondering about spds myself - also seen lots of debates, so keep us posted and depending on how you get on I may be swayed togive them a go!
    Ianl
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    It's worth trying anyway honestly. How do you know you won't like something until you try? Cheap ones at CRC now: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46396

At the risk of starting the inevitable "Crank bros pedals are made of cheese" argument, they have Candy Cs on at 20 quid down from 55 so if you hate them, someone is bound to be happy to cover the 20 quid you spend (or I'll give you a tenner for them ;) )
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    You will feel the difference when riding on clipless pedals for the first few times but you will not see the benefit until you build the new muscle groups you use, this will take weeks or months depending on how much you ride.
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Stick with the spds, keep with it, they are so good when you get used to using them.
  • tatman69
    tatman69 Posts: 176
    I have some SPDs which I am going to try, so anyone reccomend some cheapo shoes as I dont want to spend a lot if I dont get on with them. Am using 5.10s and they are amazing on flats...but want to see what the SPDS are like to comapare.
  • I started with Shimano M520 pedals + cleats coupled with £20 shoes from aldi. , mate gave up with his crank brothers as he could never unclip quick enough, also he found my shimano 520,s so much easier to get out of.
  • It isn't necessarily just a case of "getting used to them". There could be a good biomechanical reason why they're not suitable for you.

For example, they force the foot into a flat position relative to the ground. This is fine for most people but if (like me) your feet hang "outside down" then SPDs will force your knee joint to make an unnatural sideways movement with every revolution. If this is happening to you you'll know about it - it will become painful after a few miles. There are a few limited ways you can remedy this with special shoes and shims, but it's trial and error, and potentially expensive.

Secondly - if (like me again) you have wide hips so your feet naturally hang further apart than average, then SPDs will force your feet into an unnaturally narrow position. Again, this can cause injury (to kness and/or ilio-tibial band) but at best it will make your pedal stroke less powerful and you will tire quicker. Again, there are a few limited ways you can remedy this. If fiddling round with your cleat position doesn't do it then you could try "Knee Savers" (from JE James), which fit between crank and pedal to increase the distance between your feet when you are clipped in. This has other effects though, such as increasing the stress on your cranks.

Personally speaking, I tried SPDs in 1995 or so. I perservered with them for a couple of months then gave them away and went back to flats, which I've been using ever since. My knees have never quite recovered from all those miles of forcing them into an unnatural position with SPDs.

Fortunately, there are road pedals which are more biomechanically versatile so on my road bike I use very expensive (and now obsolete) Look CX7s, which are one of the few pedals to have the range of Q-angle and Q-factor adjustments I need in order to get a reasonable position.

If after half a dozen decent rides, and lots of experimentation with cleat position, you are still not getting on with your SPDs, or they are causing you foot/knee/hip/tendon pain, then I would consider ditching them.

If you are determined to stick with clipless then Time ATAC are considered the best MTB pedal for biomechanical oddities, which you may or may not be.

Some combination of Time ATAC pedals, Knee Savers and Specialized BG shoes and shims might be my saviour in the end, but until I've got the money to buy all that stuff then risk it not working out, I will stick with my flats.
  • Bloody SPDs! When I am riding off road with other people, if one them stops suddenly in front of me (happens often) its a pain to unclip, its even worse if you are climbing as the cleats don't want to pull out backward and crashes are made much worse by being clipped in. I only use my mountain SPD shoes and pedals on my road bike now! They do have some good points though SPDs make bunny-hopping easier, and you can't have your feet bucked off in gnarly terrain. You gotta try both spds and flats really. I have some friends who ride solely (Sorry) in spd and others flats only.
  • Firstly, the cleats aren't supposed to 'pull out backwards' - twisting your heel outwards from the bike is the action that your'e looking for.
    Secondly, have you adjusted the tension on the pedals? - there is an adjustment screw on each side of the pedal (The exact location varies from one pedal to another) and they are usually supplied set to the tightest (Which is flipping stupid, if you ask me).

Just remember to do both side of both pedals!

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • the world cup was won on flats all the way ,spd,for roadies,blah