Annoying click coming from front when I use the front brake.

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited February 2010 in Workshop
I've noticed it whilst cleaning my bike, putting the front brake on I get an annoying click/creak, seems to be coming from where the steerer tube links to the forks, I've looked for cracks and I can't find any. This little click is doing my head in.... Any ideas?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    is your headset properly preloaded?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    Yes, no play at all.
  • Alloy steerer, carbon forks?

Replaceable cartridge pads?

Bolt through crown snug

Hub cones

qr skewer

Stem faceplate

sti done up tight
  • Have you checked for one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_beetle
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • you ride a caad 9 dont you? some of the 2008 and 2009 models had an issue with where the steerer is bonded to the fork legs, get it to your dealer asap. if they dont immediately recognise it get them to get onto belgium or holland or wherever and get them to give them your serial number. Its afree repkacement fork but dont ride t till then.

should only be 48 hours toi get the replacement.
  • freehub
    It's a 2006 or 2007 model. The sterer does appear to be bonded to the fork with some metal, I'll try contact them.
  • yes and dont get fobed off either, recalls and technical product notices are trumpeted very loud in the states but less so in Europe and if your dealer is unfamiliar they might not be aware. I had just that problem with a problem with a creaking free hub in a set of giant branded wheels years ago. eventually i got fed up with the dealer and rang giant who told ne straight away the dealer should know they could order a new freehub with a slightly different component that would solve the problem.

Job sorted. but yours is a saftey issue ala breaking steerer for hincapie. Very dangerous becuase you cant tell when theyre going to go. get it sorted.
  • freehub
    So if I ring Cannondale in the UK up I guess they'll want that number off the bottom of the bike near the BB? And could do something? It's not likely the shop I bought it from will do anything unless the thing snaps. I took the steerer out and checked for any sort of play and it seems solid, so they'd certainly not be able to help, only hope would be Cannondale direct.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if you bought it new from a shop, then you should go back to the shop in the first instance...
  • freehub
    Can't it's 70 miles away, whatever the click was it seems to have gone away, I've weighed the bike down and took it for a 20 mile ride and the noise has gone for now, I'll get it checked next week.
  • freehub wrote:
    Can't it's 70 miles away, whatever the click was it seems to have gone away, I've weighed the bike down and took it for a 20 mile ride and the noise has gone for now, I'll get it checked next week.

Perhaps the beetle has sloped off
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • freehub wrote:
    So if I ring Cannondale in the UK up I guess they'll want that number off the bottom of the bike near the BB? And could do something? It's not likely the shop I bought it from will do anything unless the thing snaps. I took the steerer out and checked for any sort of play and it seems solid, so they'd certainly not be able to help, only hope would be Cannondale direct.

Any cannondale dealer can help you with this. Try Evans
  • i have the same problem with my Specialized 2010 P1 A.M.... but for me whenever i put pressure on the handlebars and pedal, a clicking noise comes from either the stem or the shift levers... i think it is probably from inside the shift levers because it arose after i tightened the wires, to make gear changes easier. Now i have losened then back off the clicking is still there... i sent it back to the shop (for them to fix a brake and a fork problem aswell) and i dont think they did anything about it... help?
  • Firstly many appologies for teasing willie. most bike shops wont solve the problem short of a rebuild.

The casue of these creaks and cracks is.

1 badly adjusted headsets, (a 10 second fix)

2 loose bolts at the stem or headset

3 movement of the bars in the stem, (remove from stem clean with de greaser, dry, apply a little carbon gease re fit.) Moisture and grime to work in over time its a quick job to sort out.

4 STIs becoming loose, check the allen key bolt occasionaly or if theres noise.

5 Nobby bike shops using sellotape or similar to hold the cable outers in place before fitting the bartape. (it dries out and creaks.

6 and number 1 most missed and prevelant cause of cracks, quick release not tight enough or dirt on the interface points between the fork legs and the hub. These need to be thourgly cleaned periodically. I had cannondales for years it was an issue.

There you go
  • markwalker wrote:
    you ride a caad 9 dont you? some of the 2008 and 2009 models had an issue with where the steerer is bonded to the fork legs, get it to your dealer asap. if they dont immediately recognise it get them to get onto belgium or holland or wherever and get them to give them your serial number. Its afree repkacement fork but dont ride t till then.

How did you find out about this issue its a bit worrying seeing as i've just bought a new 2009 Caad9
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    markwalker wrote:
    you ride a caad 9 dont you? some of the 2008 and 2009 models had an issue with where the steerer is bonded to the fork legs, get it to your dealer asap. if they dont immediately recognise it get them to get onto belgium or holland or wherever and get them to give them your serial number. Its afree repkacement fork but dont ride t till then.

How did you find out about this issue its a bit worrying seeing as i've just bought a new 2009 Caad9

I -think- he was just winding up Will...
  • freehub
    Well it sounded pretty believable tbh, and got me worries. It does seem to have gone now, last night I discovered play so I tightened the preload some more and it went, guess I never adjusted it correct when I put the forks back in.
  • yes i was winding will up, hes been riding long enough now that he should have got these basics right.

The Caad9 is widely respected as an absoutley top end Alluminium road frame. Its used by severalpro teams and in fact until recently was often used by the Liquigas pros before freedomto choose was taken from them.

Cannondale sells the frame equipped with components of lower cost than top of the line models to stop it competing directly with them. I have 2 of these frames equipped with duraace and have had them for the last two years and have never had any problems. I race crits, enjoy long sportif events in the mountains and everything in between. theyre great im sure youll enjoy your new bike.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    edited February 2010
    I have one too. It's awesome.

I was thinking the other day about what my dream race bike would be if budget wasn't a problem, and I ended up sticking with my current frame.
  • You Wind up merchant :wink: you had me worried then and thinking i missed something out when i was looking for problems, before i bought it. :roll: