Groupset Life Span

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Guys what kind of mileage can I expect from a Shim 105 GS? thinking more about the chain and cassette.

Thanks

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    It depends on how well you look after it really.
    I use 105 on my winter/commuting bike and its fine.
    It does get a little used and abused but always has lube on it.
    I'm expecting about 3-4000 miles before I change it.On my best bike I change my chains at 2000 but thats Campag.
  • I got 3500 miles out of my Sora chain without any problems. Then I broke it twice in about two weeks so replaced it. Going on that you'd hopefully get a bit more out of 105.
  • currently on 4.5k miles, so it may be due a change.

Thanks
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Change the chain when it is no more than 1% stretched (worn really). If you go more than this the cassette will almost certainly need changing as well. Just tension the chain and measure 10 full links pin centre to pin centre. It should be 10". If 10.1" then it is done.
  • And run the whole lot (chain cassette and chainrings) into the ground on the third chain.
  • I have measured and it's just a tad over the 10.1. I gather Chains are much of a muchness, so long as they are the correct sp.

Thanks again guys
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Most people I know don't get a whole lot of miles out of Shimano 10 speed chains. Maybe 1-2000 miles or so. Sora chains last better, like most 8 speed chains.
  • It's wierd, you wouldn't think that the 10spd chains would last any less long, as the bushings should be the same size. Wonder why it happens?
  • It's wierd, you wouldn't think that the 10spd chains would last any less long, as the bushings should be the same size. Wonder why it happens?

Because people who ride 10spd have much better developed quads.... :P
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    As a heavier rider, I get about 2500km from a chain (0.75% stretch).
    Cassette should last about 3 chains.

My plan with the rest of the groupset is 3 years on the new bike, 3 years on the old bike,
    then stick anything with life left on ebay or keep as spares.
    exercise.png