What do you carry in your camelback?

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I thought current first aid thinking was not to use a tornique? Mind you it changes all the time...
  • Water/juice,
    Pump (does tyre/shock)
    multi-tool including a chain splitter,
    cable ties,
    electrical/gaffa tape,
    latex gloves,
    spare chain links,
    power link,
    old brake pads with a tiny bit of life,
    glueless patches,
    spare tube (or 2),
    mobile phone,
    keys,
    foil blanket,
    first aid kit (containing dressings, bandages, triangular bandage, squishy tubes of saline solution, micropore tape, alcohol free wipes),
    riding food (normally GO or TESCO cerial bars),
    then clothing depending on the weather,
    OS map of the area.
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I thought current first aid thinking was not to use a tornique? Mind you it changes all the time...

I did my 1st aid course about 18 months ago and was told not to use tornique's, but if i had a situation where i couldn't stop heavy bleeding i sure a hell would make one outa something!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Spare inner tubes,
    Foot pump, that i aint got round to replacing yet,
    Bog roll....incase nature calls after lastnights pints and kebab
    top peal multi tool....reccomended by this forum,
    Lights,
    Gloves,
    Water proofs,
    tyre levers
    cash,mobile,camera,
    snacks.drinks
    A bike is only as good as the rider!
  • maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    water
    pump
    power link
    first aid kit
    foil blanket
    Oreos
    mobile phone
    spare tube
    multi tool
    Goggles
  • The risk of tournique on a limb is that if you don't do it hard enough you'll impeed venous blood returning to the body effectively making a pool but not stop the arterial flow and make the bleed much worse. Also if it's unnessecery you can cause tissue damage to the limb and the person could lose the limb.

However! If your on your own with a downed rider in a big mess and they are genuinely pissing blood out of a wound and you cannot stem the flow of blood a tournuque can be useful - and incase of limb vs life - you gotta pick the later.

Also what if you need to perform CPR and stem a bleed - a difficult decision on the spot to make.

This is all very extreme and unlikely to happen. But for the sake of a few grams i find it personally prudent to carry one without having to dismember a back pack to create one.

The first aid training every few years change their mind on what best practice is on what the given up to date research is saying (and research can look at these things from different perspectives and have different conclusions).

If your not happy to use one don't do so.
  • water
    pump
    inner tube
    multitool
    powerlinks
    spare chain links
    couple of bolts
    powerlink
    cable ties
    patches & glue
    gaffa tape
    a few quid
    small front and back lights just in case it goes tits up and it starts to get dark before i get home
    mobile phone