Look Quartz

Hardtailguy
Hardtailguy Posts: 76
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, I was looking into buying a look quartz pedal, since i've already tried spds, which just had a really crappy mechanism ( i think),
then I tried the crankbrothers eggbeater pedals and the mechanism/platform works superbly, but i've only had them for six months and they are already (although of being regularly maintained) showing signs of wear (pedal coming loose due to worn down bearing/bushing) which is just not durable enough for me.

so, my local bikeshop (which by the way is a pro-shop) recommended me to take a look at look (get it? XD), so i just wanted to ask you guys if you have any experience with the Quartz pedals?

thanks for any advice I appreciate it :)

(oh and just to let you guys know I ride an XC rig, and I might be looking into buying a cyclocross machine for fall)

Comments

• Can't help you with the Look pedals but you can buy the eggbeater rebuild kit for £12.99 so that may be worth a go?
  • yeah I know, but i just dont wanna waste money on it, since eggbeater in advance is a pretty expensive pedal, AND it just does'nt work my demands (thanks for the fast reply by the way :-))
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    It's worth considering Time pedals as well, I use Z Controls and they're absolutely superb. Not the best looking or the lightest, but quality is top notch and they're absolutely bullet proof - mine have taken a bettering and are still faultless. They've got a nice positive action and plenty of float too. Getting some lighter Atacs soon.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I've been riding with the Quartz for about 10 months, no probs as far as reliability goes, but to be honest the mechanism isn't too hot, I've had a few unprompted unclips and few near misses in coming off at speed because of it and there is no tension adjustment (but they are light - basic pedal is 280g pair), my previous pedals were Time Atac (XE), good solid pedal. New Time Roc pedals are good solid performers with spring tension adjustment but are a bit weighty (only downside), unless you are willing to buy the top end model that is. I will be going back to Time Atac's.