Finding the right spring

Butters
Butters Posts: 31
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
I recently bought myself a second hand freeride bike that came with a 2007 Fox DHX 5.0, and am looking to get a lighter spring. I used TFT-tuned's calculator to see what spring I should get, and as the shock has a 2.0" stroke, it says to get a 390lb spring for 33% sag (I'm a small guy).

The problem is, I can't find any 2.0" springs that go below 600lb. Could I simply go for a 2.25" spring, as I see them go down to 400lb, as long as it would fit? If so, would this affect the weight I need?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it fits, yes. Make sure the preload collar can wind on enough turns to keep it in place, but not more than two or three full turns.

You don't need another weight.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spoken to MOJO?

they have springs the right size and weight.

Oh and i would get a 400lbs spring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Butters
    Butters Posts: 31
    Just popped on MOJO, and they seem to only stock FOX springs. The one that's my weight is double the price of one I'm looking at on CR (Nuke Proof). Surely, there's nothing that can justify spending double?
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    what spring have you got on there at the moment?

we might be able to help each other out...

ive got a 450lb 2.39 stroke spring on my coiler that im looking to change for a heavier one.

so maybe we could do a bit of a swap? or if you think the 450lb would be too stiff for you, i might be interested in buying your spring if you wanted to sell? :D

ben