Better bikes for £550...

podgeorge
podgeorge Posts: 188
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
So now my friend has got a budget of £550, i have been looking at a variety of entry level bikes, and as far as i can see the Specialized Hardrock Pro is going to be the best bike he can get for his money. I have considered the Giant Talon 2, but the fork isn't as good and the bike is significantly heavier than the Spesh.
Although before he goes to his LBS to look at the Spesh, is there any other decent bikes you can recommend at no more than £550?
I will also say that it will have to be new bikes which are easy to get hold of because he is going to have to get finance on the bike!
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    carrera fury , from halfords
    £500 and sometimes less , good spec , good looks , award-winning for its price class
    check it out.
  • biff55 wrote:
    carrera fury , from halfords
    £500 and sometimes less , good spec , good looks , award-winning for its price class
    check it out.

Got mine for £400 last year. Was someone on here recently talked them down to £350 for one. So watch out for the sales. It's not a light bike though. It's a big tough beast of a thing. There's plenty of bikes out there all in different shapes and sizes, just depends what you're looking for.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The current hardrocks seem pretty nice, the dart 3 works well... Obviously the drivetrain's a huge costcut, but that's a smart place to save money. The Talon on the other hand isn't good value, the XCM fork's a perfectly decent entry level performer, but it doesn't belong on a £550 bike, no way. Nice drivetrain though :roll:

Both a bit more xc-ish than the Fury though. I suppose it depends exactly what you want, but the Fury's built for tougher stuff, and isn't heavy considering that. I'd definately go with the Fury in this poisition, an 08 model with the Toras if I could but the new one is fine too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    Northwind wrote:
    The Talon on the other hand isn't good value, the XCM fork's a perfectly decent entry level performer, but it doesn't belong on a £550 bike, no way. Nice drivetrain though :roll:

common trick , use expensive flash-harry rear mech to distract you from £50 forks at the front :D
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    boardman comp ht? it's sold by halfrauds, but not made by them
  • I rate the Kona frames. I've just got a couple of mates into mountain biking, one of who purchased a 2009 Kona Blast, another a 2009 Spesh Rockhopper Comp. IMHO the Kona rides better than the spesh despite its lower component spec. I haven't mentioned that to the friend with the Rockhopper though :?

Another aquaintance has a Hardrock, which I was seriously less than impressed with.

For the £550 your mate has he should be able to wangle a Blast in a LBS, or maybe up the spec to a Cinder Cone or a Caldera online (all the same frames, different components)

Can't comment on the Fury. No-one I know has one, but they look OK on paper.
  • snap
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    rockrider 8.1?
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    gravelrash wrote:
    I rate the Kona frames. I've just got a couple of mates into mountain biking, one of who purchased a 2009 Kona Blast, another a 2009 Spesh Rockhopper Comp. IMHO the Kona rides better than the spesh despite its lower component spec. I haven't mentioned that to the friend with the Rockhopper though :?

Another aquaintance has a Hardrock, which I was seriously less than impressed with.

For the £550 your mate has he should be able to wangle a Blast in a LBS, or maybe up the spec to a Cinder Cone or a Caldera online (all the same frames, different components)

Can't comment on the Fury. No-one I know has one, but they look OK on paper.

Must've read my mind (I think we posted at the same time) - see above link but bear in mind these good 2009 bikes seem to be selling out quickly.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    rockrider 8.1?

Yup, not ridden one but they look good, spec is a little lower than the Fury where it counts but they still seem like good buys.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037563/
    this mabey if he is a medium it has better forks that the spech and the rest of the spec is good for the money
  • podgeorge
    podgeorge Posts: 188
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys, really appreciated! I have just had a look at the Fury and completely forgot about it to be honest with you! Anyway i'll recommend it to my friend! Does anybody know if Halfords do finance??
    Cheers Guys!
  • biff55
    i'd be amazed if they didn't.
    their website should have info if they do.