Reproofing Altura waterproof shorts

stayhigh65
stayhigh65 Posts: 611
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Morning All

I have a pair of Altura Attack waterproof shorts which have unfortunately gone through the wash and "wet out".

I understand that they will need to be purged of the offending normal detergent with a pure/non soap and then re-proofed. With this in mind I was planning on using some Nikwax Techwash and TX direct respectively, would this do the job and do people have any other help tips and tricks?
Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
exercise.png

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I haven't used those on my Altura stuff but Nikwax's reproofers are really first class. I think Altura recommend Grangers? Another very good product.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have always washed my attacks in grangeres.. all my waterproof gears gets the grangers treatment..
  • Not used any Grangers stuff before, what would you suggest? I have also read somewhere that after washing you can put waterproof stuff in the tumble dryer or give it a light ironing to help with the coating. Any thoughts?

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some proofers need that, but I don't think you want to do that with altura's kit as it's a laminate waterproof, they mostly don't like heat. Certainly don't iron it!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Would the Grangers 30 2 in 1 washer/proofer be the ticket?

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • I'd use the nikwax wash in stuff, its a bit nicer to use.

The important thing is to rinse the machine first to remove any trace of detergent. Especially do the powder drawer.
  • I've got the Nikwax stuff (wash & reproofer). They're fantastic but I go for the wash in reproofer too as I can't be arsed to spray it all over the place and waste a load and it makes sure you don't miss anywhere.
  • You can wash in pure soap flakes, then reapply the DWR via Grangers or Nikwax wash in. Run the washer empty and on clean water first to get rid of any previous powder and conditioner. I find a cool tumble dry does the last bit best.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20