Replacement Forks

mark1892
mark1892 Posts: 77
edited February 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi just picked up my Giant Trance X4 which has Tora 302 forks without lockout. Looking to upgrade to Rockshox Recon's but have noticed some good deals on Tora 318 u-turns amongst some others. Wiggle have the 318 coil u-turn/poploc for £135 but was wondering if this isnt much of an improvement and I should pay more and get the Recons. Any suggestions appreciated. :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 318 is an improvement as has a better damper and lighter weight.

You could look at the air version too.
  • they still have steel upper tubes though, are the recons stronger and lighter?
  • supersonic
    Weaker and lighter. But that shouldn't be a problem unless you are thrashing it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I had 302s, I wouldn't replace them with 318s... 318s are definately better but not so much that it's worth dropping the cash on, IMO. 302s are perfectly decent forks really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    I'd spend 89 quid on 318 Solo Air Toras any day! Well worth it over the 302.
  • Northwind wrote:
    I had 302s, I wouldn't replace them with 318s... 318s are definately better but not so much that it's worth dropping the cash on, IMO. 302s are perfectly decent forks really.

the only thing i'm not happy about is the lack of lockout on the Tora 302's fitted which i do use on my old bike. Supersonic, Air or coil for xc and trail for a 15 stoner?
  • Having spent a bit of time reading up on here and on bike shop websites, i have decided to spend a bit more than i first wanted. :?

Its all good though :) narrowed down lots to:

1. 2010 Rockshox Recon Race Solo Air 120 @ £260

2. RockShox Recon 351 U-Turn Forks @ £240

3. RockShox Revelation 426 Air U-Turn Pushloc (2009) @ £360

4. Fox Forx 32 F120 R @ £299

The first 3 will look and perform great but really like the look of the Fox and they get good reviews, only downside is i will have to upgrade the wheels straightaway to fit the 15mm skewer. Is there an easy away of adapting my current wheels to fit??
  • supersonic
    I'd get air forks - lighter weight, easier to set to your weight, and I'd doubt you need the Uturn adjust. The Recon Uturn is heavier than the Tora Solo air ;-)

If upping the budget I'd get these:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/marzocchi ... -2010.html

You can reduce the travel internally. Light, stiff, very adjustable, great price. That or save money and get the Tora 318 !
  • The only thing i can see with that Supersonic is that they are 140mm like you said but how much will it cost to reduce the travel?

and are the Fox 120's not a great deal then? £600 to £300 or am I just being naive :wink:
  • supersonic
    Free! They come with a service guide - you just snap a spacer on the air shaft (need circlip pliers)

The Fox is a good deal, and is light, but like you say, need a new wheel...but I'd still have the Rev. Much more adjustment! The 120r is as basic as your 302 tora.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Free! They come with a service guide - you just snap a spacer on the air shaft (need circlip pliers)

Does spacer come with? and cheers for your help :)
  • supersonic
    It should do yes - all original boxed ones do.

Contact them to be on the safe side.

Though many run 140mm on the Trance... You can actually suck the fork down by adding more negative pressure too.
  • I think i know what you mean by the negative pressure as they have a positive and negative schraeder v/v. will give them a ring in the morning but just one last question, I promise :wink:

It comes with remote poploc, is there a fitting issue on the bars, do you need suitable shifters/brake levers to fit in place? as another site is doing them at same price with no poploc :roll:
  • champion, thanks a lot and will leave you to your night in peace :D
  • I upgraded from a suntour to a recon and love it. It has all the features I need and the price was right. If prices is a concern try buying on a bike classifieds.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    mark,
    don't forget that even though most trance x's come with 120mm travel, the advanced (carbon fibre one) comes with the fox talas (max travel 140mm) so if you get the revolutions you could try them at 140mm or as supersonic says drop them to 120mm.
    cheers
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • gaz047 wrote:
    mark,
    don't forget that even though most trance x's come with 120mm travel, the advanced (carbon fibre one) comes with the fox talas (max travel 140mm) so if you get the revolutions you could try them at 140mm or as supersonic says drop them to 120mm.
    cheers
    gaz

Cheers Gaz, i just noticed that on Giant's Website. also a few other owners have 140's fitted and no probs apparently. Will spalsh the cash tonight when i get in from work i think :)
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    nice one mark, i have a trance x myself so let us know how you get on
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • mark1892
    mark1892 Posts: 77
    edited February 2010
    Hi again, I was just about to order the Revelation race @ £300 then i noticed somewhere a pair of Revelation 409 u-turns for £250 100 - 130mm. they are very slightly heavier by about 100g's. Are the race worth the extra 50 quid? and some might say i wont use the U-turn much but i quite like the idea as my riding is very mixed :)
  • max丨mo
    max丨mo Posts: 177
    Mind if I ask where you have seen the Foxes for £299, thanks matey...
  • ignore my last post they weren't post mount and maximo I'm sure it was Chain Reaction 8)

Edit: I was correct. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47093
  • Ordered the Revelation 140's for £299 yesterday so hopefully will have them by the weekend :D and maybe get to have a bit of a play if the ice keeps away :roll:
  • Now Fitted :D

Feels loads better after a quick play and the extra 20mm isnt really apparent - yet :wink:
    (photo's taken before i fitted the Poploc)

14022010207.jpg
    14022010209.jpg
    14022010204.jpg
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Looking good there boss 8)
  • cheehee wrote:
    Looking good there boss 8)

still a bit clean, will rectify that this weekend :D