XC brakes

teacherman
teacherman Posts: 454
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to replace the juicy 3's on my XTC. Lightweight is a priority.

I've only really got experience of Hayes - stroker trails and 9's - not that impressed with how they developed sticking pistons really quickly.

I don't really like the lever feel on the 3's so i'm not likely to go Avid again unless the brakes higher up the range are significantly better.

Price isn't really a consideration. Any recommendations?
I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf

Comments

• Righto:

Avid
    the lightest brake they do is the Elixir Mag, but TBH you'd be better off with the Exlixir Carbon. You could always get some Juicy Ultimates also, but they are becoming redundant, so I can't see why you would choose them over the Elixirs unless you get a great deal.

Hope
    They have an XC race brake coming out V. shortly so may be worth waiting for those, aimed at XC riders. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =1&t=62133

Formula
    The R1 without a doubt

Shimano
    XTR is the only real option

Magura
    The Marta SL, although very gragile (hence why I sold mine)

Those are the big players at the moment.
  • Thanks cheesey - comprehensive list :D

i'm guessing by gragile you mean fragile :wink:
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Yep, fragile was it!!!

The Elixir Carbons are very nice and come on a lot of top-end bikes, I bought an OEM set from CRC for £240. Back one was OK, but had to send the front one back. They replaced it with a boxed aftermarket one which is fine. Nice brakes, light and nice to look at.

There have been reports of a few bad factory bleeds which I can vouch for (the front had this problem). I wouldn't let that put you off though.
  • teacherman wrote:
    Price isn't really a consideration. Any recommendations?

:wink:
  • There have been reports of a few bad factory bleeds which I can vouch for (the front had this problem). I wouldn't let that put you off though.

As in over filled or air in the system? My Hayes rubbed from the first time I changed the original pads - really should sort them out :lol:

Hmmm, I do like the look of those. And Merlin have them on for £230 :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These are the brakes I am getting when I have the money:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29495

Super light (and I'll add Ashima rotors), good reviews.
  • They are super light :shock: Look nice as well (apart from the orange).

Where have they been reviewed sonic?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    BR reviewed them, and a few user reviews on the web. Good price too!

There is an F1 verion too, just look at this all carbon lever!

F1.jpg
  • Ooooh! *starts scrabbling round down the back of the sofa*

The Mongoose frame may well fund these :D
  • Teacherman

The lever was as spongy as hell and was nearly back to the bars before biting.....

Good price for the pair though!!!