brake caliper query

jonrb101
jonrb101 Posts: 86
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Hi there,

I'm just putting together a bike for the summer (wishful thinking!), based on a Giant SCR Carbon frameset and I've just realised that the Ultegra calipers (BR 6600) I have don't have a long enough drop, by about 3-4mm. I presume because the SCR has slightly more tyre clearance, I need deep drop calipers ?57mm - I'm not sure how / where this is measured from - can anyone please advise / confirm. Also, are deep drops available at ultegra level? most of the 57mm drops I've seen are from further down the Shimano range. Any suggestions please for suitable calipers at a reasonable price?

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I believe the shimano deep drop are/were ultegra spec. The ones I have are marked Shimano super SLR. I would advise Koolstop pads though as the Shimano ones are very hard
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    if tou want, i can swap a set of lightly used A550 47mm - 57mm SLR long drop calipers that i have for your standard 6600 calipers?

pm me if you want to discuss

G
  • Thanks guys,

I bought a set of R650's on sunday am before you replies, but intended to hang on to the Ultegra's for son's bike. Thanks anyway.

Cheers

Jon