Sky outside clear tonight ?

2»

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Northwind wrote:
    mrfmilo wrote:
    Is it the star-like object directly above the moon? If it is looks more like a star to me - thought it would be bigger? :cry::lol:

This celestial object is small. This one is far away :lol:

:lol: True but still disapointed. :lol: Anyone got a decent telescope?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, I got a scope. You can make out quite a few features. Good binocs will show a clear orange disc.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    in 2004 back in Poland, Mars was visible. there was practically no clouds at all and it was actually nearly the size of the moon and was beautiful red colour. astronomers said that this wouldn't happen for 400 years. they were 100x off :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It can never be the size of the moon (relatively) lol! The same hoax was spread for this close encounter too!
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I looked at it through binoculars and realised I had Parkinson's disease
  • I looked at it through binoculars and realised I had Parkinson's disease

POTD!!! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    jay12 wrote:
    astronomers said that this wouldn't happen for 400 years. they were 100x off :lol:

Mars was about half as far away at opposition then, but still was just a bright star to the naked eye... To appear the size of the moon (which is half the diameter of Mars, but only a quarter of a million miles away) it'd need to be about 1/66th as far away as it ever will. They were spot on, the next really close opposition pass will be centuries away, it's a hell of a lot further just now
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Mars and moon bright. Snow covering here, so everything has got that eerie blueish tint.
    Very "Christmas card" scene at the moment.
    Bloody freezing tho...
  • Ok can I just ask... Is it the red dot above the moon to the right? or is that a plane? :lol:
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Ok can I just ask... Is it the red dot above the moon to the right? or is that a plane? :lol:

no it's superman!!!
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Ok can I just ask... Is it the red dot above the moon to the right? or is that a plane? :lol:

Tis the very one, doubt a plane would be up that high, unless there is something NASA is keeping a secret...
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • well... its very red... I need some bino's!!
  • just been and had a look!

Wich my bro haddn't sold his big telescope :(

Just a little dot in the sky to me :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've not even bothered to break out my rubbish telescope, it's hard enough work finding the moon with it.
    Uncompromising extremist