Carbon Frames - Are they repairable ???

Leesykoi
Leesykoi Posts: 338
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Still with my first road bike (Trek 1.2) and considering the move up to a carbon framed bike. I've taken a few small tumbles on the Trek and was curious as to how durable carbon is compared to alu frames ? Also if you do take a tumble whilst using a carbon framed bike are they repairable ? (or a write off)

*Understand that the above queries may be due to level of damage however the query is purely theoritical at this stage as the missus has not allowed me to buy a nice chunk of carbon yet never mind 'hurt' one yet !!!*

Thks.

Lee.
I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Leesykoi
    Thks Reddragon.

I can understand sending to the USA for repairs as there would have been a considerable investment in the frame, shame there is no UK repairers though !!!!

I may hang fire till i'm more proficient !!!

Lee
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    A carbon frame is no more likely to be written off in a crash than a lightweight alloy one. As for durability, my Trek 5200 is nearly 10 years old and has had its share of knocks. It is still in good order.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    No problems with a carbon frame in principle, just don't get it wet or it WILL dissolve away.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Thks Reddragon.

I can understand sending to the USA for repairs as there would have been a considerable investment in the frame, shame there is no UK repairers though !!!!

Lee

There's a carbon repair service not far from you. Fibre Lyte in Stokesley (near Middlesbrough). They did a great job on my brothers frame
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Thks Reddragon.

Lee

There's a carbon repair service not far from you. Fibre Lyte in Stokesley (near Middlesbrough). They did a great job on my brothers frame

Wow, thanks for that. I may now take the plunge carbon wise. Unfortunately if my track record with my Trek is anything to go by i'll prob need a repair done at sometime so good to know somewhere local.

Out of sheer curiosity what was the extent of the repair done to your brothers frame and did they totally refinish the area or did it looked obviously repaired ?
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    A company called Carbonology will sell you a DIY repair kit for £40. I sold an old Focus frame that had been whacked, the guy who bought it used this kit & it looked spot on.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Thks Reddragon.

Lee

Wow, thanks for that. I may now take the plunge carbon wise. Unfortunately if my track record with my Trek is anything to go by i'll prob need a repair done at sometime so good to know somewhere local.

Out of sheer curiosity what was the extent of the repair done to your brothers frame and did they totally refinish the area or did it looked obviously repaired ?

He lives in Newcastle so I haven't seen it yet. It was a dent on the top tube caused by a crash in a RR - they repaired it no problem. By all accounts the weave is a little different in that area (but that's bound to happen anyway) - but it was a lot cheaper than binning the frame and getting a new one.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Buy Ti.
  • Chip \'oyler
    dmclite wrote:
    Buy Ti.

Can you repair Ti?

• Leesykoi
    Was wondering when Ti or CAAD9 was gonna crop up in my thread ????
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    To be honest any frame can be scrap if it falls wrong.The only real exception is steel.
    Don't worry about accidents and what ifs, just ride it and enjoy.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    :lol: Sorry mate, had to be done.

How bad have the crashes you've had been? I've come off my Kuota but not horrificaly and no damage, i think you're worrying yourself needlessly. IMO
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dmclite wrote:
    Buy Ti.

Can you repair Ti?

Dunno. I have carbon forks, seatpost and bars so I have 2 materials. Nothing against carbon, honest, my next bike wiil be carbon. With carbon wheels and everything.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Of course you can repair Ti
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Of course you can repair Ti
    But don't expect it to be cheap.
  • Leesykoi
    :lol: Sorry mate, had to be done.

How bad have the crashes you've had been? I've come off my Kuota but not horrificaly and no damage, i think you're worrying yourself needlessly. IMO

Most of my 'offs' been not too bad but had one that was in conjunction with a car that could have been much much worse !!!!

Good to know carbon is repairable, if it had not of been i would not have considered it at all for my next bike (ie my shiny summer bike)...

Cheers for all the advice.

Lee.
  • beckcd
    beckcd Posts: 22
    Buy a waterford. I've had 22 frames inc look carbon, and a serotta legend. The Waterford is by far the best bike i've ever ridden.
  • beckcd
    beckcd Posts: 22
    Buy a waterford. I've had 22 frames inc look carbon, and a serotta legend. The Waterford is by far the best bike i've ever ridden.