How to fit forks?

JamesBrckmn
JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
I have decided that £25 is a ridicolous amount to charge to fit forks, so i'm going to do it my self. Only problem is that i have no idea how. I've had a look on parktools, but these seem to mainly be about cutting the steerer, which i'm ok with, i'm just worried about what to do with the headset, so no bearings fall out etc.. so, can you give me a link to instructions or a how to video, or tell me how?
Thanks

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    Oh yeh and they're rockshox recon race 09, the old ones are suntour xcr, the headset is a cheap cane creek and the bike's a rockrider 5xc. i have tools, but no stand. do i need one?
    thanks again.
    james
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    You don't need a stand no.

First fit the headset. Then the crown race - I use a length of PVC pipe over the steerer tube, wack it with a mallet and it pops on after a while.
    Now build up the front end how it usually is. So insert the bearings into the cups, slide the fork steerer through the headtube, put the headset cover/cap on, spacers on, stem on. Now mark a line around the top of the stem. Take it all of so you just have the fork. Deduct 3mm from the line, then cut steerer tube. CHECK TWICE CUT ONCE. Use a good quality hacksaw.

Now you need to install your star nut. You idealy need the setter tool, which wacks it in at the right depth.
    Once that's done 're-build' it all ( spacers, stem etc.) and screw in bolt which top cap into the star nut. Load the bearings and align stem to front wheel.

This is how I do it and it works for me

:)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    £25 isn't that much for the job to be done properly.

A workstand will make the job easier

Remove wheel & brake from old fork

Remove stem, spacers & bars from fork steerer

Remove fork from bike

You will need to remove the crown race from the old fork: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12547246

Then fit it onto the new fork

then cut the steerer to the correct length

then install the SFnut: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=67

then refit the fork, brake & wheel

www.parktool.com will have a guides to how to do this.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • JamesBrckmn
    Thanks.
    so will i need a new star fangled nut?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Yes.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • mrfmilo
    Yep, or a Hope Head Doctor, but I prefer the SFN
  • JamesBrckmn
    well looking at the price of the sf nut setter, i think i'll get a shop to do them. Thanks for all your help though- i literally had no idea before.
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    You can do job without the SF nut setter. I used an old long M6 bolt in the SF nut and just knocked it down the steerer tube to the correct depth with a hammer. It started to go in crooked a couple of times so I started again. Hold the bolt and keep it as straight as you can, it will align itself and go in straight. Mine did anyway. Oh yes, you have to hit it pretty hard!
  • mrfmilo
    well looking at the price of the sf nut setter, i think i'll get a shop to do them. Thanks for all your help though- i literally had no idea before.

I would
    Spend £12 on a setter, and that's basically it.
    http://www.cyclesuk.com/1011/438-481600

Then you'll always have it, and won't have to spend £25 every time.
  • JamesBrckmn
    Thanks, but i won't be fitting forks that often, and i don't want to mess it up by cutting the steerer too short etc.
  • mrfmilo
    Thanks, but i won't be fitting forks that often, and i don't want to mess it up by cutting the steerer too short etc.

OK fair enough....
  • JamesBrckmn
    I would also have to buy a star fangled nut (£3) and also a cutting guide? so it would be easier to get the lbs to do them.
  • mrfmilo
    I would also have to buy a star fangled nut (£3) and also a cutting guide? so it would be easier to get the lbs to do them.

SFN should have come with your headset. If not it's setter tool (£11), SFN (£3) and a decent hacksaw. You don't need a cutting guide, just use an old stem or pipe etc.
  • Sloper
    I used a Jubilee clip (a car radiator hose clamp) tightened around the steerer-tube as a cutting guide.

If you haven't the tools/confidence/experience though, it's best to let your LBS do it for you, just for peace of mind and an easier life!
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    But nothing beats the satisfaction of doing something successfully by yourself. :D

Although if you do it wrong it will be quite demoralizing. :lol:
  • JamesBrckmn
    Thankyou for all your replies
    mrfmilo i haven't bought a new headset, so it hasn't come witha sf nut
  • mrfmilo
    AH ok.

Well your choice.

Aslong as you check before you cut not alot can go wrong.
  • JamesBrckmn
    whatr about the beairngs falling off when i take off the forks? or they enclosed in the heaset? and won't i need new grease or bearings anyway?
  • mrfmilo
    Depends. If they are cartidge bearings they will be enclosed in a 'case'. If they are loose ball bearings in cages they might fall out.

What is the current headset?

If the bearings are still in good condition just give them a re-grease, if they are worn and un-even get new ones.

Bringing it to the shop will be less hassle, but doing it yourself is cheaper and personally I like doing things myself. :)
  • Sloper
    Yep, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go for it, otherwise you won't learn anything and will always have to rely on others to do stuff for you. I know plenty of people like that and it's pretty sad.

There are easy-to-follow guides on the net on how to fit forks, but if you're still worried, a shop might let you watch while they do it, then you're prepared for next time.

Like someone else said, it's satisfying to do stuff yourself, but also demoralising if you cock it up. I've been to both places!
  • king_rw
    king_rw Posts: 12
    I did this yesterday
    if you need to cut the steerer bang the sfn in first so if you tap it in skewy you can correct it-then make sure you bang it past the cut line.
    If your worried about your bearings falling out put a strip of duct tape over the headset cups so nothing can fall out when you leave it :)
  • JamesBrckmn
    it's cheap plastic cane creek headset, which came with the bike, bought 6 months ago
  • mrfmilo
    it's cheap plastic cane creek headset, which came with the bike, bought 6 months ago

It's probably one from Tange Seiki made for Cane Creek, which most likely is loose ball bearings.
  • JamesBrckmn
    ok, i'll do it my self then. So, hoping they don't fall out, will i not need new ball bearings, as they're only 6 months old?
  • JamesBrckmn
    also, can you link to any good how to videos you know of please
    Thank you very much for your time
  • mrfmilo
    There are several good guides, here's one:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610 ... -1,00.html

Don't let what they say about cutting the steerer put you off :lol: It's easier than you think