adjustable rebound

radiojaja
radiojaja Posts: 94
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
whats it do? :lol:

i see that one way it makes the forks more 'responsive' and the other way a bit stiffer i guess...

but being relatively new to all this, what are the different settings for? :oops:

is it a personal taste thing? or a weight thing?

how does the performance differ, and what reasons might you have for changing from one setting to another? :?

is it easier to handle the bike in certain conditions depending on the setting? if so, in what sense?

sorry if these are stupid questions! but any help much appreciated...

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Turn up the rebound (+ve or stiffer) makes the forks return to full travel slower, -ve makes them return faster. You need to set them so you're comfortable with how they feel. Trial and error really. As a guide, if you ride lots of big drops and hits you probably want more rebound damping, stops the forks bouncing back like a pogo stick and throwing your hands off the bars. Downside of setting them with lots of rebound damping is that on lots of small hits the forks don't get a chance to return to full travel between bumps which can result in them packing down and losing travel until you hit a smoother bit and they get a chance to return to full travel.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • ok! thanks for that

so for 'lighter' easier trails less damping? and if your hitting the big stuff more damping?

i'll have a fiddle on tomorrows ride!

thanks again :D
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Pretty much, you'll need to play until you're happy with it. To be honest most of us don't spend anywhere enough time setting up and then recording our suspension set up, I know I don't :oops:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • i'm even worse, i didnt know it was even an option till yesterday! :oops: