Easton EA70s - Rear mech catching on spokes issue??

Lig
Lig Posts: 178
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Hi all,

No matter how much I adjust the rear mech, it always catches on the spokes in the largest sprocket when I am out the saddle?? I have two other sets of wheels that work fine on the same bike and I have tried this wheel on two frames and it does it on both?? I have tried a 1mm spacer behind the cassette but it didnt fit.

Anyone else had this problem (campag fit btw)??

Cheers,
Lig.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    not a problem on mine (shimano fit)....maybe it's your extreme power.. ;)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Sounds like you ain't the limit screw set up right on the rear mech
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    You say it catches when you're out of the saddle.

Is this when you're going up steep hills? I can't think why you'd be out of the saddle in the large rear sprocket at any other time.

The other wheels it doesn't happen on...do they have the same size large rear sprocket? Are they all the same speed (9/10?). Are they all the same axle spacing?
    If they are not then it's likely down to mech adjustment.

The fact that you're out of the saddle when it happens suggests some kind of flexing under power. Does the freehub turn smoothly and evenly...could be some issue with that.
    Is the lockring tight on your cassette?

If it was wheel flex you'd hear the brakes rubbing long before the mech caught the spokes.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Mike67
    You say it catches when you're out of the saddle.

Is this when you're going up steep hills? I can't think why you'd be out of the saddle in the large rear sprocket at any other time.

The other wheels it doesn't happen on...do they have the same size large rear sprocket? Are they all the same speed (9/10?). Are they all the same axle spacing?
    If they are not then it's likely down to mech adjustment.

The fact that you're out of the saddle when it happens suggests some kind of flexing under power. Does the freehub turn smoothly and evenly...could be some issue with that.
    Is the lockring tight on your cassette?

If it was wheel flex you'd hear the brakes rubbing long before the mech caught the spokes.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Lig
    Hi chaps,

Thanks for your replies, It is when I am going up steep hills.

When I set it up and it works correctly, the tolerance between the top jockey and the spokes is very marginal (you could probably just get a sheet of paper in between) so as soon as I ride there will obvioulsy be some flex and it touches. If I adjust the screw on the mech then it doesnt go into the biggest sprocket??

It really is a strange one. Like I said, i have tried two other cassettes and had the wheel on another bike and the same happens.

My LBS couldnt get it to work either and asked me to try a 1mm spacer, but when i fitted this it pused the cassette out too much so when its fitted back in the bike, the lock ring touched the frame and didnt spin??

Seems really wierd as it cant only be me with this problem? Can it??

Lig
  • Mike67
    Don't know how I managed to post that twice twice :D

A sheet of paper sounds way to close to me.

Just looking at my EA90s with a Tiagra rear mech and SRAM 11-23 block and I have approx 7mm of space up there.
    It's a 9 speed block on it so that may make a slight difference.

Almost sounds like the wheel isn't dished correctly and is too vertical on the drive side.
    Are they new? Can you get them checked under warranty.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Lig
    Hi Mike,

They are a couple of months old. I am going to send it back for them to check. The dishing seems fine as it fits in the frame central. I took it to another LBS and they said it was too close. When you put a 1mm spacer on it kind of doesnt fit flush, there is like a slight lip at the end of the freehub nearest the spokes, this causes the cassette lockring to rub on the frame i.e it sits too far over the axel. The LBS chap measured the axel and told me it could be a few mm too short, so I dont know if there should be some spacer in this, then the whole thing would most likely work with the 1mm cassette spacer fitted.

It just seems odd how no one else has had this issue, as I would have thought it would be the same with all Campag EA70s?????

I will see what ExtraUK have to say....It will just really cheese me off if they say, 'it worked fine on our test bike' but we will see!!

I knew I should have stuck to Mavics!!

Thanks and I will keep you posted....

Lig.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    It could be that the spoke tension is not correct.
    I have handbuilt Campag record hubs wheel set and its close for me running a Centaur medium cage mech.It doesn't touch though.
    I would ask you LBS to check the spoke tension with a tensionometer an see what load they are under.
    Also you don't say how much you weigh?
  • Lig
    hi fella,

I weigh 88Kg, so not overly heavy??!! The spokes feel fine i.e not loose at all. I have spoken with ExtraUK and am going to send the wheel back.

Lets see what happens?!?!?!?!

Lig...
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Hi

Had exactly same problem on my Ascent II Campag fitting and just put up with it and avoided using the 25 (on 10spd) were I could.
    Tried to put an 11speed on and Leisure Lakes said it wouldn't fit even though Campag 10 and 11 are same size.
    Went to Mercian and they put a spacer in which made it a very close fit at the frame end and it only just clears the frame on the 12 sprocket and may not work on all frames, depends on angles around chain and seat stay join.
    Anyway if your rear hub is the same it's the 25 up against the hub.
    On mine there is no lip or ridge were the cassette fits against the hub and hence it clashes when under extreme tension ie when your honking out the saddle and really need that gear.
    We compared it to a newer Easton wheel and they did have a ridge on the hub.
    If you have the newer ridged hub and are trying get a spacer in then you will struggle.
    Don't know how good your LBS are but maybe worth trying somewhere else - luckily I've got Mercian.

Regards
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Jajacp
    Jajacp Posts: 79
    I have some EA50s which have very tight clearence. I only noticed when honking up a hill and I glanced down.

The old 'circuit' wheels wouldn't accept after market campag compatible cassettes for this reason
  • Lig wrote:
    hi fella,

I weigh 88Kg, so not overly heavy??!! The spokes feel fine i.e not loose at all. I have spoken with ExtraUK and am going to send the wheel back.

Lets see what happens?!?!?!?!

Lig...

i think the answer is in your first sentance. Loose some weight or stop riding the wheels. A cart wheel seems more suited.
  • Lig
    Hi Galatzo, at last, so it isnt just me going mad!!

I have been to 2 LBS and both with no joy.

I have now sent the wheel back so I will see what they have to say?!?!

Cheers,
    Lig.
  • how much clearance between the jockey wheel and the cassette, could you solve it with a touch more tension on the b-screw so you move the wheels further down so further away from the spokes?

Is it an assymetric rim, and is it the right way round?
  • Lig
    Hi ride_whenever,

There is literally about a 1-2mm gap, and that is with the mech adjusted so it is just off centre and struggles to jump onto the largest sprocket (25T).

Yes the rim is built correctly. You can tell by looking just at the cassette with the wheel off the bike (compared to my Zipps) that the cassette is too close to the spokes, but like I say when you put a 1mm spacer in it pushes the cassette over the axel so dont work!!??

I think the axel could do with a spacer and then the whole thing will work (with a 1mm spacer behind the cassette).

Cheers,
    Lig.