Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Gardening Leave

shoulder_of_orionshoulder_of_orion Posts: 529
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
After returning to work after a period of "Gardening Leave", I thought I would post my observations on the topic:

1) why is it called that?? I didn't do a jot of gardening. I did try to do some gardening in the summer and bought a load of plants but they all died because I didn't water them. So I am not a gardener I've decided. Anyway, I did do a lot of eating so it should be called "eating leave". I rediscovered lunch, rather than a rushed sandwich or microwaved bowl of soup slurped over computer screen I would take time to actually cook lunch from raw ingredients.

2) I hardly spent anytime reading the commuting forums on Bike radar. Funny that. They're simply not as amusing when somebody is not paying me to read them. I hardly had the time. Apart from project managing a new bathroom and spending loads of time with my children I had far too many things to do and there simply were not enough hours in the day to waste my precious time lounging on the internet.

3) Pootling. I had never understood that there was a cycling pace apart from nuclear. Whether commuting or on a training ride, I would always go at full racing speed. However on gardening leave there was little point in going nuclear so I would pootle. I did a lot of short trips and there was no need to wear lcyra etc and I would not want to get all sweaty in my civvies. I began to enjoy my pootles and the "Game" was a distant memory.

I enjoyed my period of gardening leave but now everything has gone back to the way it was and I am glad to be back in the game!

• kelsenkelsen Posts: 2,003
    4) What if you're an employed gardener, and the company lays you off without having to work your notice. What kind of leave would it be called then?
  • GazzaputtGazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    2) I hardly spent anytime reading the commuting forums on Bike radar. Funny that. They're simply not as amusing when somebody is not paying me to read them.

Not funny at all these days regardless of being paid to read them.