Indexing confusion

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Right this is the 3rd time I am going to need to index/setup my gears from scratch. I did the first two no problems but have a rather silly couple of questions.

1. What do you set up first? Front or rear mech

2. What chainring does the chain need to be in when setting up the rear? Middle?

3. Do I need to reset front mechs limit stops (new chain, shifters and rear mech (SRAM X0 - was XTR)?

I know how to set the stops, barrel adjusters etc but am a little confused.

I thought it was rear first, with chain on middle ring, starting at smallest cog. When rear was correctly indexed, largest cog/smallest chainring to set the front

At the moment I cannot get to the middle chainring as front mech is in the way?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 does not matter as long as you can do the other,
    2 does not matter. middle can make it easier but needs all.
    3 maybe. maybe not does it need it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick,

Right, the front mech was correctly indexed before and I have not fettled with it. So in theory I can just attach the cable and index/set up.

Once that is done, I'll shift it to middle ring, then index the rear from that position.

Then the rest is fine, I am having a blonde moment and totally forgot the process/sequence.

:)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    At the moment I cannot get to the middle chainring as front mech is in the way?

Do you mean the cable isn't connected, so the front mech drops to the small ring?

If so, the either connect the cable with enough tension to use the shifter to put the front mech on the middle ring. Or use the L limit screw to put the lower limit of the mech on the middle rather than the small ring. You'll probably have to push the mech with your hand while you turn the limit screw.

Edit: Posts crossed over, so yes, just connect the cable to the front, to keep the chain on the middle. then set up the rear, then finish fine tuning the front.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."