On-One slot dropouts with gears..?

softlad
softlad Posts: 3,513
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
quick question please fellas - I did a search but no luck. I'm tempted by the Inbred slot dropout frame, but...

Can someone explain to me how difficult it is to remove a rear wheel from a slot dropout frame set up for gears..?

With a 'normal' dropout, once you release the QR, the wheel would move forwards and down. What's the process with this...?

It's probably a silly question, but at this time of the morning I just can't see around the logic....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have to clear the chain of the top of the cassette and outwards and then pull the wheel out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Probaly best to stick it in the granny ring to aid wheel removal,and give you more slack in the chain to work with.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    thanks for the replies. it does sound like a fair bit of faff to be honest - especially as I have no real intention of ever running SS. might just go for the normal inbred instead - shame really, as I fancied a green one....
  • I've got a scandal with this system - its not extra hassle dont let it put you off buying what u really want
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • I've got a scandal with this system - its not extra hassle dont let it put you off buying what u really want

Same here. As someone has already said, put it the granny ring, and small rear cog and it's no problem. Can be (very slightly) more fiddly putting the wheel back on- nothing at all that should make or break a decision to buy the frame though.