Halfords Sale

Damo66
Damo66 Posts: 59
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Was in a local Halfords the other day... The OH is looking for a new bike. T'was only a small branch so naff all in stock but the assistant (who I believe is quite clued up) said keep checking the website as a sale is on the cards next week...

Might be worth a look ???

D

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    as usual they will probably have already raised the prices of stuff so when it's 'discounted' it looks like a good deal, when it actually isn't as good as it looks.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

just make sure it is a real sale.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Damo66
    Yeah... I appreciate all that... I'm not that green!!!

Might be worth a look though. You never know !!( although my hopes aren't high...)

D
  • Don't do it, they're never genuine sales, and the bike can alsmost always be found cheaper elsewhere (unless it's own brand, but who wants them!?) the sales assistants aren't clued up at all, they took a month, yes literally 30 days, to fix a puncture and snapped chain when I was younger. When you're new to biking, you need good after-sales support, so go to a decent cycle shop instead like Rutland Cycling- I swear by them.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Don't do it, they're never genuine sales, and the bike can alsmost always be found cheaper elsewhere (unless it's own brand, but who wants them!?) the sales assistants aren't clued up at all, they took a month, yes literally 30 days, to fix a puncture and snapped chain when I was younger. When you're new to biking, you need good after-sales support, so go to a decent cycle shop instead like Rutland Cycling- I swear by them.

So one bad experience several years ago, and you tar every store with the same brush?

I've had brilliant after sales support from the Halfords near me. And the Boardmans, Carerras and GTs that they sell are always well rated by the mags. I don't think I've seen a test that the Fury was in that it didn't win. Same with all of the Boardmans.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Its 20% off all Carreras until monday, I expect it to be 20% off GT's next as today they have just raised all the GT prices by £50-£100 (except the XCR 5 and Aggressor Elite)
    I am waiting for the GT sale, but i cant descide between the Aggressor XCR or Elite as I already have the XCR 5 which I am keeping just for off-road. Will probably go for the Elite as it will only be £160 more expensive in the sale and will be lighter than the XCR.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • Kanya
    Kanya Posts: 90
    I've had great after sales help off my local Halfords.

Originally got the XCR5 I-drive then it's I-drive started creaking like a mofo, despite being replaced twice. I'd only had it 2 months or something and had only been used to commute. They ended up swapping it for my Boardman Pro no probs, and I always get a free service for some reason.

Guys that work there in my branch are pretty on the ball as they're proper bikers themselves (seen them thrashing Glentress a fair few times now)

On a side note, you had any probs with a creaky i-drive on your GT Big Shoes?
    2009 - Boardman Pro '09 HT MTB
    2013 - Cannondale F29 1 '13
    2017 - Haibike Freed 7.5 carbon HT + full Hope parts (no..not an e-bike)
  • Hi mate,

No, i have had mine almost a year and had no problems with the bottom bracket, the rear shock rebound adjuster stopped working but the mechanic at Halfords replaced the whole shock while i waited, very good service.

Great deal on the Carrera Zelos Carbon FS for £799 instead of £1599 at the moment, 12.7 kg!! and great spec for the price.

• Damo66
    Oooops..... Didn't really want to start the "for or against Halfords" debate !!!!!!

Anyways. The OH bought a Cannondale F3 feminine (size petite coz she's five feet nowt!!) from Evans Manchester. Was only £299....... Price matched with Edingburgh Cycle Co.........and she's made up with it....

D
  • Apart from anything else they are useless and should stick to selling car parts!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Damo66 wrote:
    Oooops..... Didn't really want to start the "for or against Halfords" debate !!!!!!
    Not your fault, it happens every time someone mentions the 'H' word ;)

Some good, some bad, some just plain ugly ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    although they sell good bikes you gotta admit their whole pricing / discounting strategy
    really sucks and treats honest customers with more than a little bit of distain.
  • The sale has now started....

09 Carrar Kraken for £320 or a 09 Fury for £439
  • the £30 heart rate monitor

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... itor-10055

is now £20...
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • So the Carerra sale has finally finished. Does anyone know how long they leave it before putting another sale on I.E GT?
  • bobcheese wrote:
    So the Carerra sale has finally finished. Does anyone know how long they leave it before putting another sale on I.E GT?

They have been raising the prices on the GT's since the end of Jan by £50-£100, so I expect the sale to be on soon, I check the website every day as I am also waiting for the sale.

• Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    I erm...work for....cough cough a certain bike shop. Will find out next GT sale start date...
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • MrCJ
    MrCJ Posts: 6
    just got a carrera kraken 09 from halfords £399 before discount after moaning that if i ordered online they would give me 20% off they then gave it to me instore. Also was in another bike shop and was talking to him about the bike i wanted spec etc and the money i wanted to spend, said i seen this one (he had nothing in stock does mainly secondhand or orders) but he did say he could get me one in stock within a couple of days at a higher price. He said it was a good bike and it was worth the money has for the same spec as that bike you could be looking to pay £600 upwards which is what i found when looking round at different bike stores, he also said he would check it over once i got it to make sure halfords had put it together correctly.
    I also got a tip from someone that used to work for them dont take no for an answer when asking for discount, get the manager as they always have some sort of discount they can give.

I found the staff very helpful.
  • the only bike I would buy from halfords would be a nice high end boardman! (I wish...) the guys there are nice and they sell plenty of tools but i think most of their bikes are fairly crap :cry:
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Big Shoes wrote:
    bobcheese wrote:
    So the Carerra sale has finally finished. Does anyone know how long they leave it before putting another sale on I.E GT?

They have been raising the prices on the GT's since the end of Jan by £50-£100, so I expect the sale to be on soon, I check the website every day as I am also waiting for the sale.

No GT sale until at lease April.
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

might have to take a trip into hy halfords n see if I can wangle a discount or freebies!
  • Danlube wrote:
    Big Shoes wrote:
    bobcheese wrote:

No GT sale until at lease April.

Thats fine, i dont get the rest of my money for the bike until the middle of march. That makes sense as they put the prices up for a few months before the sale so they can say, eg, 'was £799 between 31/01/10 and 31/3/10' where it was £699 before that normal price, and now £639 in the sale, it looks better for people who dont know how Halfords works but it is still a saving on what are very good value well specced bikes anyway.

• urh! Big shoes you talk too much sense! :lol:

I have the money for an elite now and want my bike! But I will wait, it will be work it to save 20% right. :wink:
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    i don't understand why people bash halfords for the way they operate their sales, your very naive if you think that halfords are the only people that do this..
  • MrCJ
    MrCJ Posts: 6
    hyperman wrote:
    i don't understand why people bash halfords for the way they operate their sales, your very naive if you think that halfords are the only people that do this..

I totally agree all shops will up there prices so when the put it on sale they still make money on it they also put price up on old stock when they buy new if the price has gone up on new stock. I can see the point on some staff not knowing what they on about in halfords.

Now someone prove me wrong that all stores are not out there to make money.
  • Kanya wrote:
    I've had great after sales help off my local Halfords.

Originally got the XCR5 I-drive then it's I-drive started creaking like a mofo, despite being replaced twice. I'd only had it 2 months or something and had only been used to commute. They ended up swapping it for my Boardman Pro no probs, and I always get a free service for some reason.

Guys that work there in my branch are pretty on the ball as they're proper bikers themselves (seen them thrashing Glentress a fair few times now)

On a side note, you had any probs with a creaky i-drive on your GT Big Shoes?

Would this be Halfords seafield then?. As the lads in there are very clued up and keen downhillers. The lad in there was going to give me a spare fork pump he had but couldnt find it . Also reduced sale 661 veggies to a £5 for me.