Trackstands?!

hilza
hilza Posts: 43
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
I want to be able to trackstand to look cool at the lights and prove cyclists are mighty, is it possible/easy on a normal roadbike though? Obviously on a fixed gear you can rock the bike forwards and backwards but on a freewheel? I stumbled across this vid; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6zEeepMNM and he seems to be not using fixed gears. Any tips?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Practice. Nowt but practice. Focus on a spot in the distance while you do it.

I always struggled until I broke my leg then I was magically able to do them for much longer. Although this is admittedly a slightly drastic measure.

It does make it much easier setting off again at lights.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Push the cranks against the brakes works for me with a bit of side to side steering. Not completely at a stand but enough to look good( until I overbalanced once and had a 'clipless' right in front of a whole queue of traffic :oops: :oops: )
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Does it matter which leg you break?
    I would hate to break the one that makes me unable to do track stands.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Here's how I do it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12618923

Practice makes perfect.

If you stand up like the guy in that video, it's easier if you aren't very good, but you're rocking about. Once you get really good, you can stay seated and do it almost motionlessly.

By the way, I just mastered a new technique which includes unclipping my right foot and using it to hold the front wheel in place. :shock:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Bhima wrote:
    Here's how I do it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12618923

Practice makes perfect.

If you stand up like the guy in that video, it's easier if you aren't very good, but you're rocking about. Once you get really good, you can stay seated and do it almost motionlessly.

By the way, I just mastered a new technique which includes unclipping my right foot and using it to hold the front wheel in place. :shock:
    I am sure this new trick will be very useful when you race this year :lol:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, i'll be so far ahead in the sprints that I can trackstand my way over the line at 0.0000000001 km/h :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bhima wrote:

I've mastered my own 'technique'. This too, includes unclipping, (but I prefer my left foot) and using it to hold the bike in place! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    hopper1 wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

I've mastered my own 'technique'. This too, includes unclipping, (but I prefer my left foot) and using it to hold the bike in place! :wink:

That sounds similar to the technique I use...
    ...unclip left foot, place left foot on ground, rock bike gently back & forth using right foot, with bars at a jaunty angle... :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    it's really easy and desperately uncool

it b'u'ggers your bottom bracket bearings/cups
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    I read a few guides but found this to be the easiest explanation, maybe it was the fact the girl was doing it no handed that drove to work at it. Trackstands are great, very useful and unlike a lot of other skills no risk of pain when learning them.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_trackstand
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    brakes are not required nor a fixed gear
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    hilza wrote:
    I want to be able to trackstand to look cool at the lights and prove cyclists are mighty, is it possible/easy on a normal roadbike though? Obviously on a fixed gear you can rock the bike forwards and backwards but on a freewheel? I stumbled across this vid; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6zEeepMNM and he seems to be not using fixed gears. Any tips?

I have a normal bike but I find its easier if you are on a hill and face the bikeat about 15 degrees off being directly up hill with the front wheel pointing pretty much directly up hill (like the sprinters do at the olympics). All else I do is push on the cranks when I feel myself roll backwards.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733

How would it do that, the stress on bearings on a track stand would be far less than crunching up a steep hill, or pedalling when cornerring.
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 153
    front brake on, pressure on the leading foot.

standing is easier than sitting.

I learnt on a MTB on the road, then on the trails, then on a fixie now on a roadie.
    fixie was the hardest to master IME.
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • skyd0g wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

That sounds similar to the technique I use...
    ...unclip left foot, place left foot on ground, rock bike gently back & forth using right foot, with bars at a jaunty angle... :wink:

That's nothing. I can do it one handed.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    hilza wrote:
    The road is on a slight slope, that is how he does it.
  • Forget trackstands, far cooler to stay clipped in and lean against a handrail or lampost. Failing that, leaning up against a car. Drivers love it, sometime they give a friendly "toot" on the horn to show how much they like you doing it :D
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010

How would it do that, the stress on bearings on a track stand would be far less than crunching up a steep hill, or pedalling when cornerring.

I could sort of understand an argument for bearings being crushed in one particular way, i.e. if you always trackstand with most of your weight on your right foot and pedal always in the same posistion.....but surely any bad that came from this wouldn't compare to say an out of the saddle hill climb as OWM suggests