Jet Washing

tptvmbircn
tptvmbircn Posts: 782
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hello guys,

As I live in a flat and have a fussy missus she does not like the idea of washing things inside here and although i have a bit of a back garden what do you reccomend i do?

I know (as far as i'm aware) you can get hand held non electric powered cleaners but i do live very close to a BP garage with jet wash.

Just which way to go really, also i wonder if they actually let me use it for my bike plus will the pressure wreck my components from a car jet wash?

Cheers
Terry

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Put the jet wash down and step away from the bike.

Although someone will be along shortly to tell you how to sterilise your bike after every ride, personally I just let it dry out and then brush the excess dirt off with my hands. Lube the chain, go ride.
  • Right i see, no jetwash then ha!

I can see your point, but, I like to get a good clean with some water, dry it then a quick lubing after and the bucket and water theory can not spray the bike and just to add i must have the oddest shaped taps that are anti hose pipe 100% *sigh*
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Living in a flat can be a nightmare with bikes, I feel your pain!

You could invest in a Mobi or Dirtworker (which I'll probably do soon), but at the moment I use one of those garden sprayers - big tank with a pressure pump and a hose on it. That plus a bucket and sponge usually does the job.... if a little slowly.

Jetwashing is risky.
  • Yeah this flat malarky is getting on my boobs, its like such a pain to do anything let alone cleaning the bike. Mite have to do a terry special and bodge some genius hose pipe adapter together haha
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    hose is what I use. Failing that a bucket of warm soapy water (warm for my poor hands more than the bike!) and a nice big soft brush.

and as .blitz says. I ususaly clean and lube the transmission after a ride, full proper cleaning I save for speshul okkashins
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are bike specific low pressure washers that are OKish but still keep them away from bearings and the cleaner make sure it is diac OK.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    i don't see why using a pressure washer is a problem, i always use one to clean my bike, i just stand well back so there's no real pressure, just a light dusting if you like..no worse than using a hose pipe..
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    hose with a garden spray attachment, keeps the pressure low but strong enough to clean the dried in dirt and with a brush you get the extra clean option!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I usually use a garden hose but if its really caked I will get the pressure washer out however the hose has the option to adjust the jet to a spray and it sorts it. Ok for the frame, rims and tyres ect but keep clear of the bearings.

They have them at trail centres, as long as your sensible I dont see an issue with them, just don't go jetting the bike about a mm away from the bike :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use a jet wash - carefully.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    buy a new bike every time it gets dirty, simples!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    garden hose on spray setting if you need to have running water.....

but what's so hard about a bucket and some water with a sponge, it doesn't have to be perfect as it will only get dirty again just lube the chain :? more environmentally friendly....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I too use a jet wash but am a bit more careful now. i broke a rear hub with one.....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I live in a flat(my own admittedly to no whining women) and I knock off most of the muck outside and then clean the frame and wheels separately in the shower :D

Everything is clean afterwards including the bike, me and the bathroom so wheres the problem ? ;)

DSC01052640x480.jpg
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    -Liam- wrote:
    I live in a flat(my own admittedly to no whining women) and I knock off most of the muck outside and then clean the frame and wheels separately in the shower :D

its great living women free when into bikes isn't it ? :lol:
    my kitchen is my workshop , warm , well lit , bike rack on wall , no nagging.
    sweet 8)
  • -liam-
    biff55 wrote:
    -Liam- wrote:

sweet 8)

lol absolutely! Me and my missus lived together for years. We argued. I moved out. lol! She still moans about me putting MY bike in MY shower tho. Good job she doesnt have to use it if she doesnt want to :D

My workshop :D

DSC00976.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I had a woman who was into bike enough to let me keep them in the room with us, and use the showers for them...
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    -Liam- wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    -Liam- wrote:

sweet 8)

lol absolutely! Me and my missus lived together for years. We argued. I moved out. lol! She still moans about me putting MY bike in MY shower tho. Good job she doesnt have to use it if she doesnt want to :D

DSC00976.jpg

I thought you'd be older...

8) +1
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • I highly recommend a Mobi Washer and a bottle of Muc Off
  • I go with the hose/muc-off/brush approach, but for when the hose aint available I've also got one of the pump-up garden sprayer things (like someone else already said) which are bloody usefull.
    I stay well clear of jet washers, sure its ok as long as your carefull to stay away from bearings, but especially on a full-sus bike, that doesn't leave much that you can clean...!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    cambo wrote:

LOL!

Mobi is good for 2-4 bikes but won't finish the job on its own. You still have to wipe it 'down' or sponge it 'up'.....or......hmmmm...can't think of anything that goes sideways.

Oh...and they are 'kin heavy when full. Mind your back! My car does wheelies if I don't place it over the rear axle.

Warm water, bucket + brush/sponge while still wearing waterproofs is best...you can fling the stuff everywhere :) and get urself mud free while at it.
  • The whole point of the Mobi is that it is low pressure. I agree never put a Kartcher or car pressure washer on a bike. I used a Mobi at a recent race and they are clever. One guy even put hot water in it and hosed himself down!
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    I use a jet wash! :) just be carefull!
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    after a muddy ride i get in the shower in full kit minus shoes
    with bike .way i see it is wash my kit as i take it off hang it up to dry
    then wash bike clean then wash myself in that order . Leave it all there to dry lube and clean the shower. All done in one wash saving water , energy and the planet .
    And thats why i live in a flat and have an exwife :P
  • showering with your bike is one way i suppose. A bit weird like. Head & Shoulders good for bikes?
  • -liam-
    cambo wrote:
    -Liam- wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    -Liam- wrote:

sweet 8)

DSC00976.jpg

No. I can also fit my bike in on the back seat of my old mans car :D