post-cleaning fork lube

kona_matt
kona_matt Posts: 475
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
a mate of mine uses silicone spray to lube his forks after a clean, just a few drops around the seals. does anyone else do this? would you recommend it? any other methods on fork care?
FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Ideally you should use fork oil, as it wont contaminate the contents of the fork.

There is a company that makes a great spray for this specific purpose, supposed to be fantastic.

Generally a few drops of some decent oil and compress the forks, you should see the dirt coming up out of the wipers, then wipe of the dirt and repeat until nothing comes up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    depends on the forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I use Shimano's Not-Very-Dry chain lube. Just a few drops around the dust seals, pump the forks a few times and wipe off the excess.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I used to use teflon chain lube. Since I serviced my forks I've now got suspension fluid and a syringe so I use that now.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    nicklouse wrote:
    depends on the forks.

rock shox recon race, solo air
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • nicklouse
    fork lube or a touch of suspension grease. chin lube works fine as well.

spray lubes can cause problems.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    chin lube
    :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    bails87 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    chin lube
    :lol:

a bit like elbow grease.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    fork lube or a touch of suspension grease. chin lube works fine as well.

spray lubes can cause problems.

Chain lube - so I would be safe for example using my finishline wet chain lube on my reba fork seals?
  • COMET99
    COMET99 Posts: 140
    Sorry to jump on the back of this thread, but I'm in a similiar boat and need to give the stanchions on my Manitou Minutes a Lube. Would I be able to use some of this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1459 with the compatibale gun of course? :D
  • nicklouse
    what is it?

cant be arsed waiting for the link to open?
  • COMET99
    Manitou M Prep Lube...
  • nicklouse
    very good stuff for lubing bushes and seals.
  • COMET99
    Ok, so I should be able to apply some the bushes at the bottom of the stanchions, compress the forks, wipe away any dirt and excess and it'll lube them up nicely?
  • COMET99
    I do have some Rock'n'Roll Extreme chain lube, don't know if this will do the same job though. Anyone know??? Would maybe save some pennies! Haha :D
  • nicklouse
    depending on how bad the forks are. if bad give them a service.

otherwise the chain lube will be fine.

the forks dont have lube ports on them do they? what year?
  • COMET99
    They're 08 ones, so sadly no lube ports, my old SXs did though. Why did they get rid of them, such a good idea!

Ok I'll give the chain lube a whirl tonight. They are in need of a service though, going to send them off to TF tuned soon. Really haven't got the space, tools or expertise to service them myself, should learn!

Cheers :D
  • nicklouse
    they got rid of them as they started using oil as a lube rather than grease. :wink:
  • COMET99
    Ah I see :)
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Some people flip the bike upside down (so the oil in the forks runs down to wet the bearings/bushes) the put the wheels back on the ground and compress the forks a couple of times to take a small amount of that oil up the stachions. Effectively using clean oil in the forks to purge contamination out of the seals/ bearing/ bushes, then put lube on.
  • COMET99
    Ok, is this more effective than lubing the stanchions directly yourself, say with chain lube?
  • nicklouse
    well the lube only gets to the bushes as the seals keep it oil side. applying lube to the legs/seal is just that it will not get to the bushes.

so it comes back to the condition of the forks and what you are trying to do.

and for other people readying there are many forks out there that do not have open bath lube/damping systems so inverting your forks will do nothing. Also do not operate your hydro brakes while inverted as you may introduce air into your hoses.
  • COMET99
    Well as I bought the forks second hand about a month ago, I think they should be sent off for a service as soon as.

To be honest I was just concerned about the condition of the Stanchions at the mo, as they seem rather dry, bit too dry if you get what I mean, so maybe thought as a temporary fix lubing them might help. But they most probably need stripping down and servicing.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've been using Fork Juice and it does the job well feeling noticable smooth after clean and lube. Seems thick enough to not seep past the bushes and not noticed any loss of feel/reaction from the suspension.
  • Fork Juice +1

http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/

It's a lube specifically designed for this purpose and doubles as a great bike polish!
    <hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)
  • COMET99
    Is Fork Juice an aerosol based lubricant? How do you apply this, via a clean cloth or something? :wink:
  • I usually just spray it straight onto the stanchions, obviously being careful not to point the spray towards the disc. I also apply it to the shaft of my (coil) rear shock.
    <hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)
  • Brunox Deo, as recommended by RockShox
  • COMET99
    Spoony Man wrote:
    I usually just spray it straight onto the stanchions, obviously being careful not to point the spray towards the disc. I also apply it to the shaft of my (coil) rear shock.

Sounds pretty straight forward. Just checked out their website and it's not a bad price, might have to get me some. :D