• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cheap?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    If they're not the first batch that had the front spoke snapping issues then it looks cheap to me 'cheap' being relative of course
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    For £550 you could buy a pair of wheels that were actually pretty good though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I sold mine for about that money, kept the Askium's that came as part of the recall, and bought a pair of HED Ardennes.

The Ardennes are lighter, faster and more confidence inspiring. The lateral stiffness of the R-Sys will not easily be matched though, they were awesome wheels to descend on, I just lost faith in them.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DaSy wrote:
    I sold mine for about that money, kept the Askium's that came as part of the recall, and bought a pair of HED Ardennes.

The Ardennes are lighter, faster and more confidence inspiring. The lateral stiffness of the R-Sys will not easily be matched though, they were awesome wheels to descend on, I just lost faith in them.

+1 for me. I rode mine for a year - got the new front wheel AND the Aksiums for free - and then sold the entire lot. Got £500 for the R-sys and £150 for the Aksiums I think. Just lost faith in them.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Similar discount at Merlin. They would really really really match my bike and I have been sitting here credit card in hand and fingers twitching, but I keep chickening:

- if they're so good why the huge discount - trouble shifting them?

- Reddragon's point - you can get some very nice wheels for £550 (and I hadn't really been planning to spend that much)

- would my LBS be able to true them/fix broken spokes (it would ceratinly be beyond me).

Googled and googled whilst I was cogitating and some of the stuff on USA forums I couldn't help smiling at - "I hit a pothole and broke 3 spokes, dagnammit. These darn things should come with a warning if they're not suitable for a 220lb rider..."
  • dbg
    £100 cheaper than Merlin and they would go nicely on my Addict and drop a fair bit of weight off my Mavic Elites but are they going to collapse half way round a sweeping 30mph corner???!!!!!!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've seen a set of bars snap, I've seen people crash because of a puncture, I know people who have crashed when their stem snapped and I've seen a fork break (OK so that one was on Hincapie on TV). I'd have thought that since the recall they were pretty much as safe as plenty of other things on the bike - but I take the point that you need to have confidence in them as thoughts of the wheel disintegrating can spoil the fun of descending !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm happily still riding my cheapy Mavic Cosmics - I'm sure they were under a ton, and the comic preferred them to the ksyriums. I guess they must be due a replacement soon though - but that seems a lot of dosh.
  • plumpy
    Why am I worrying about broken carbon spokes - I live in Leeds, where the roads are manicured ribbons of immaculate tarmac. Potholes are unknown.

Come on son - put the credit card down and step away from it, before someone gets hurt. (By their wife).
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    They still broke after the recall. They're the least aero wheels you can buy.
    They could never be cheap enough.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I would stay well clear personally, Mavic got it wrong big time and I just wish they would abandon this design and start producing decent innovative wheels again. It doesn't inspire confidence in something beneath you that you depend on.

I believe that the recall was in 2009 and these are dated on wiggle site as 2008 so I really wouldn't go there.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/06/ ... lure_93054

http://santaclaritacycling.wordpress.co ... nsibility/

http://road.cc/content/news/4839-mavic- ... -ask-mavic

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/03 ... ilure.html

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... &start=150
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Wouldn't have been my first choice but they came with a bike and they are very nice riding wheels. Very light too for a clincher. Could be worth a punt at that price.

They would be ideally suited to doing things like hilly sportives. As mentioned their aerodynamics is not good at all so something else would be better racing.

You can check whether they are post-recall from the three stripes around the spoke ends.

Mavic will replace the front anyway even if they are the old ones, I am sure Wiggle would have sorted this out themselves before sending them on to you, little point you buing them from Wiggle only to ship the front straight back to them.
  • I wouldn't touch these. Not only do I live in the Lakes but I'm not with an NHS dentist either.... the wheels I could afford but not the facial rearrangement.
  • dbg
    I'd agree they must be post re-call, Wiggle are too big to be selling faulty wheels..........or are they??!!!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Wouldn't touch them, CF isn't a good material for spokes period. Get yourself a decent set of wheels instead with Sapim CX-Rays on.
  • blorg
    At that price range I would be tempted by the Dura Ace WH7850 CL Carbon Laminate - only slightly heavier than the R-SYS, more aero and without all the worries.
  • plumpy
    Wise words mates - you've saved me from myself. In truth I think that the wheels on Nice Bike are good enough for the bike (and for my ability level) so now I'm looking at some CHEAPER wheels for when Nice Bike is doing the summer commuting etc - to keep the junk miles off the Nice wheels/tyres.

Aksiums £129 at Decathlon - discuss...
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    try halo aerorage spinmaster.£200
  • blorg
    plumpy wrote:
    - would my LBS be able to true them/fix broken spokes (it would ceratinly be beyond me).
    The spokes are readily available and yes, your LBS would be able to true them and replace the spokes. I broke three spokes on the rear upon impact with a clubmate's arse and LBS was able to replace them. Wheel went severely out of true so as to be unridable but did not self-destruct. Bear in mind on the rear the drive side has aluminium spokes though.

As for Aksiums, I have had those as well and while they are fine solid wheels they are a bit heavy. For cheaper training wheels I would probably get Planet X Model Bs for the same money and far lighter.