Help! how to eat while on a ride

greeny67
greeny67 Posts: 56
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Is it just me or does anyone else have the problems of trying to dig around in back of cyle jersey pocket trying to get hold of snacks!?? It's fine if you have a banana or a snackbar in its wrapper,but anything homemade like oat bars broken into bite size pieces.or mixed nuts is a nightmare. Ive tried them in a sandwich bag but can't get in the blasted thing and have to stop to eat. Not putting them in something just seems abit unhygenic. so if anyone has some magic tips i would be really grateful.

thanks

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Practice makes perfect!

For "complicated" foods, I just shove them in a plastic carrier bag, spin the bag around so it's sealed and fold the extra bit of bag round so it neatly fits in my middle pocket. At first I had to stop, then I learned to get my sandwiches out riding with no hands and I can now do it while sitting in a bunch of riders, even on steep ascents. It's easy with sandwiches or flapjacks because you can hold them in your teeth while you wrap the bag back up.

I once saw someone pull some watermellon slices out of a carrier bag while on a ride. :shock: But that's another story...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If it's causing too much hassle, I believe you can get a small bag that fits on the top tube/stem area. Triathletes use them. It may help, as you can see what you are rooting for! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    If it's causing too much hassle, I believe you can get a small bag that fits on the top tube/stem area. Triathletes use them. It may help, as you can see what you are rooting for! :wink:

Thats what I use, mine is a High 5 Bike Goodie Bag from Here. Just enough room for my long ride days food (2 gels, 2 ceral bars, sandwich, banana and spare high 5 powders in the summer. Some good deals on gels etc from that site too sometimes
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Like the man says ' practice makes perfect'. When I started I was concerned with this aspect of cycling, but after perfecting drinking on the move I progressed to eating - gels only- and as a non no hands rider it took a little sorting out.

1 take gel from back pocket (trying not to spill the other 5 that you have) - always I feel a good start.

2 Hand with gel in it then rest on appropriate side of bars to maintain control of bike, then

3 Take other hand and tear off top of gel - do not squeeze it can get v. messy.

4 top in back pocket - of course- and put hand back on bars.

5 hand holding gel to face in mouth area squeeze and enjoy, - empty in back pocket :evil:

God it is complicated when you think about it isn't it?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Or, slide gels up the legs of your shorts. Easy go get to and at body temperature so slide down so much easier. For anything sealed, start a small tear in the packet before you set off so you can rip it open with your teeth.

I remember seeing a pile-up at the 2009 London Tri when a rider was trying to open a gel, fell off and got collected by everybody behind. Be careful; if in doubt back off and get some clear space.
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    1. Stop bike and get off.

2. Enjoy food whilst taking in the scenery (stopping at some sort of view point helps this)

3. Get back on bike and ride off.

Repeat as necessary.

Unless you're racing / time-trialling, then I don't suggest stopping to take in the view!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have a look on Youtube at Dr Alan Lims recipes. he does homemade rice cakes, croissant snacks and wraps them a special way usung tinfoil so they are easy to open and store in the pocket. Tastes good too.
  • Buying a frame mounted bag to keep gels and energy bars in is just fundamentally wrong!

Cycling jerseys have 3 pockets at the back - so use them! You could probably stuff about a days worth of gels into each pocket if you really wanted to. Though I can't imagine why you would. Gels are only really worthwhile during a race, or possibly in the last hour or two of a long sportive - otherwise normal foodstuffs are perfectly adequate.

If you're on a long ride then you're going to be stopping at some point - traffic lights, to have a pee, etc etc. Just use that time to unwrap your fiddly snacks.
    IN THE SADDLE
    "Locals are watching from pavement cafés. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me." Tim Krabbé, The Rider
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    It's true that when you've got a gusting side-wind, peeling open the wrapping of a bar or fishing in a bag for some syrup cake isn't always the easiest.

In those cases, I usually stop, after a few failed attempts.

With a tailwind however....easy!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    teagar wrote:
    It's true that when you've got a gusting side-wind, peeling open the wrapping of a bar or fishing in a bag for some syrup cake isn't always the easiest.

In those cases, I usually stop, after a few failed attempts.

With a tailwind however....easy!

Everything is easier with a tailwind.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    greeny67 wrote:
    Is it just me or does anyone else have the problems of trying to dig around in back of cyle jersey pocket trying to get hold of snacks!?? It's fine if you have a banana or a snackbar in its wrapper,but anything homemade like oat bars broken into bite size pieces.or mixed nuts is a nightmare. Ive tried them in a sandwich bag but can't get in the blasted thing and have to stop to eat. Not putting them in something just seems abit unhygenic. so if anyone has some magic tips i would be really grateful.

thanks

Stick to bananas and snack bars if you find them OK - mixed nuts doesn't seem like the most obvious thing for a bike ride snack to eat on the move. If you want to eat stuff like oat bars then just make sure they are fairly solid or else wrap them in a bit of foil or something to keep them together.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    +1 If you are riding in company - move out the way when you eat or drink - so you dont bring anyone down.

If you're going to have a snack bar take the top off before you ride - its easier and better than fighting it one handed with your teeth and spitting rubbish about.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • mixed nuts doesn't seem like the most obvious thing for a bike ride snack to eat on the move.

I did a supported touring holiday a few years ago where one of the guys on the trip rode alongside me and offered me some Pringles! Legend!
  • Thanks for all the ideas guys. might have to look into the foodie bag thing,sounds a good solution and also a bit more storage on longer rides. Will give feed back how i get on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,247
    Just wrap loosely in foil. A lot of pros even unwrap food from it's normal wrapper and put it in foil instead.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I don't have problems unwrapping food on the move, my problem is I get so out of breath whilst chewing that I put it off, especially in hilly areas. Please don't suggest gels, I hate them with a passion!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    markos1963 wrote:
    I don't have problems unwrapping food on the move, my problem is I get so out of breath whilst chewing that I put it off, especially in hilly areas. Please don't suggest gels, I hate them with a passion!

Take smaller bites

and chew with your mouth open!

Or eat on the downhill....
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    The only thing I can eat whilst riding is those energy gels, anything else I have to stop, last time I tried eating something, it was a mars bar and I nearly suffocated :lol:
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Damien_KW wrote:
    Buying a frame mounted bag to keep gels and energy bars in is just fundamentally wrong!

Not if you have just ben completely submerged in water on the swim leg of your tri...

they might all float off
  • Not if you have just ben completely submerged in water on the swim leg of your tri...

they might all float off

Triathlon is guilty of many crimes against cycling style. The frame mounted food bag being just one of them. Mankinis another.
    IN THE SADDLE
    "Locals are watching from pavement cafés. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me." Tim Krabbé, The Rider
  • For snack bars open the packets at one end first, before you ride. It's what I do in races. Means time from back pocket to mouth is about 2 seconds.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Top tube mounted bags are a cracking idea, if you happen to race a long TT with just a skinsuit on. There are no pockets in a skin suit, and unless you are going to just eat gels for a 100 mile TT , or a 12hr TT (these can go up the legs of the shorts), then you need another way of holding the food. Top tube mounted bags are idea.

As for eating whilst on a ride, just ride no handed, get the food out of your pocket (have it pre opened), and then eat. Otherwise do it at traffic junctions or traffic lights. Briefly stopping to get food is not a bad idea, and I doubt it actually impacts on the quality of the ride.
  • Unhygienic... it will toughen you up! Do you not play the 3 second rule on dropped food? (10 for choccy!)