Braze on disk mounts for my 99 Clockwork or new steel frame?

gravelrash
gravelrash Posts: 12
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hey there everyone. Hoping for some opinions on this one.

I'm torn between getting disk mounts brazed onto my old and well loved Orange Clockwork, or buying a new steel frame.

Braze on disk mounts will cost about £90, but an On-One 456 frame can be purchased for about £140.

To suit my riding style I've fitted Fox forks set to 100mm travel, which seems to work OK, but the BB is a bit high, and the angles look a bit slack on paper (66 head, 70 seat)

I really love my old Orange, but maybe a modern frame designed for longer travel forks would make more sense? I gotta do something cos I'm starting to really hate V-Brakes.

heres a picture of the old Orange to help

IMAG0072_1024x768_.jpg

Comments

• head over to retrobike.co.uk

If you want to you can sell your frame there, they are into the whole Orange retro thing :)

Then put that towards a new frame :)
  • head over to retrobike.co.uk

Nice one, thanks for the link.

I think I'll post something there to try and get a feel for what the frame might be worth.

I must admit if I could raise a good percentage towards a Cotic Soul frame it would be an easier choice to make :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also have a look at the A2Z adaptor.

See the FAQs for more info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I had a local builder braze on a disc mount to my 98 norco nitro. $40 I stirpped the paint myself and repainted it when it came back. A good deal at the time and in retrospect I probably would have rather put the money to a contemporary frame.
  • Yeah, I looked at the A2Z adaptors. I didn't think they looked like a very satisfactory solution, and I wasn't convinced they would work with the Clockwork frame anyway, as there isn't very much flat area around the dropout.

So the vote seems to be for a new frame then.

Kinda sad, but I guess it makes sense. I think I've convinced myself that an On-One 456 would be a downgrade though, so need to raise some funds towards a Cotic Soul

thanks for the input