Tyre fitting, am i doing it wrong?

callummac
callummac Posts: 36
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
been wrestling with them all morning, trying to get some new 2.5 Highrollers on my WTB Speeddisc DH rims.
The first bead goes on, then the tube in but I cant get the last 10-20cm of the second bead on. :x

I can get the tyre on completely relativity easily without the tube in...

Thanks for any help

Callum
Giant Glory 1
Merlin Malt 2

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    make sure the last bead is sitting in the well of the rim and not on the tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sounds like perseverance is the answer, good luck.
  • cheers, doesnt seem to be sat on the tube,
    ill stick with it, but its a bit demoralizing know this is is only the first one :?
    Giant Glory 1
    Merlin Malt 2
  • Yeah, sorry I can't be more help. On the bright side, you can use lessons learned on this one to make the next one easier. Tried some Talc powder? makes the rubber less sticky.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    It's all in the thumbs, the last 10cm, alternating pressure from one hand to the other.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i usually find brute force and a fair bit of persaverance does the trick. make sure the tube is only inflated very slighty, i find that if the tube is any more than just not sticking together than its harder.....
    funny though, as i find my 2.5 HR's easy to get on....!
    although, they are the singleply FR version, so maybe thats it?!?!?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Oooh, ooh...OR...
    Get the last bit at the bottom of the wheel, squish the tyre on the floor and step on the slack, then push the wheel away from you. Leverage at work.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    wordnumb wrote:
    It's all in the thumbs, the last 10cm, alternating pressure from one hand to the other.
    QFT. Even if it's just a few mm at a time you will get there in the end*

* said the actress to the bishop
  • i made it eventually, leverage was the key.
    and yea joshtp, these are the lead lined dualply ones

unfornuatly a new problem has presented itself, at one piont the bead seems to want to sit in the well rather than the groove. How can get that bit to pop in?

What it looks like at the majority of pionts
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4522402/

At the problem spot
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4522401/

thanks for all the replies, need to get one of the cyclo tools things pity it probably wont fit in my pack
    Giant Glory 1
    Merlin Malt 2
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    The tyre will pop into the bead as you inflate the tube,

Just do it carefully to make sure its seated properly
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • yea, i inflated it slowly upto the maximum pressure specified (65psi) and jiggled it about as much as i can along the way, still not sitting right :s
    Giant Glory 1
    Merlin Malt 2
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Deflate and bounce the wheel while turning it, should help the bead sit right, then re-inflate
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • I had this problem with a set of laserdisc rims, they have a weird double ridge thing. I ended up over inflating the tyre eventually it seated itself with a loud bang. The alternative is standing on the tyre and waggling the wheel with the tyre inflated so it's 'up' but still a bit squidgey.I may have used some silicon based frome polish to make it slippery too.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Do as they do at Kwik Fit! :)

Put strong soapy water (washing up liquid) on the tyre and rim, then pump up the volume!

Put a lot of pressure in there, of course, try not to go over the max, but is fine just to get the tyre fitted.

The bead will eventually slip on the slippery liquid and pop into place, then let the air back out.

Simples......
    Craig Rogers
  • its still not having it, would it seat itself once its on the bike and i have rolled around on it for a bit?
    Giant Glory 1
    Merlin Malt 2
  • x-isle
    Have you tried the washing up liquid yet? It will work, always does for me.
    Craig Rogers
  • alright ill try the washingup liquid
    (couldnt see the last posts when i entered my last reply)
    Giant Glory 1
    Merlin Malt 2
  • +1 for the washing up liquid
    now gotta go through all of that for the rear one now :roll:

Thanks for all the help :D
    Giant Glory 1
    Merlin Malt 2
  • x-isle
    Fairy should give me free shares! :)

Glad you got it sorted!
    Craig Rogers