Front Disc Brake Squealing (Juicy 5)

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have got a Juicy 5 front disc brake from new. It has a 185mm rotor. When i start off riding for approx 5 miles it has a squeal when the front wheel keeps turning. Then it seems that the squealing goes after the brakes have been used a bit (i.e. heavy brake use such as going down a fairly longish hill).

If the brakes then don't get used for a while the squealing returns but nowhere near at such a loud squeal.

Then when i go on my bike again the next time (few days later) the squealing returns and the process starts all over again.

The noise is really irritating and can give me a headache after a while of hearing it!

The rotor isn't catching on my fork and it doesn't seem to be catching on the brake pads.
Could the rotor be catching on the brake unit attached to my fork (where the pads are contained etc)

I think i have worn my pads in correctly and in total have done about 40-50 miles of XC riding on the bike with the disc.

Any help is appreciated.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the caliper need adjusting.

see the topic in the FAQs and the article linked in the Tech links above for more help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks

Maybe its be being dull but it doesn't say much about caliper setting. Just pad tweaking, brake bleeding, topping up fluid etc.

Whats the possible reasoning behind the temporary squealing that lasts until the brakes seem to have been used a fair bit in a shirtinsh space of time.

Again bit dumb but i thought the calipers just screwed into the fork & not much else could be done? Unless you fiddle with pads etc.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • try centrallising the caliper.....do this by loosining the bolts just enough so you can move the caliper side to side (within the bolt holes)
    then pump the lever several times and then hold the lever on whilst you re-tighten the bolts.
    this will centralise the caliper and may cure your problem.
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks Saracen Fan

Help is much appreciated. I shall try out your theory tonight and see if it works.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Thanks Saracen Fan

Help is much appreciated. I shall try out your theory tonight and see if it works.

..its not a theory :wink:
    Giant Reign X1
  • liverlips
    liverlips Posts: 2
    I used this stuff and it fixed my squeeking disc brakes . http://www.squealout.com
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    liverlips wrote:
    I used this stuff and it fixed my squeeking disc brakes . http://www.squealout.com

Tell me IF I am wrong BUT that is an absolute con/scam. What are steps 1-3 (the use of advertised product - with no previous posts) for? The instructions later say to repeat steps after 1-3 which sort of shows it is a scam.
  • liverlips
    liverlips Posts: 2
    You know this is the last time I'm going to join any of these sites, just about every time I post suggestions to help, someone always has to say scam spam etc. What a waste of a forum to not be able to help fix a problem. Im a mechanic of 22 years so I don't need help from anyone on here my post was to help YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!! No one ever has a fix for this problem EVER it always ends up as a NO FIX.

And really I don't care cause my brakes don't squeal now , and yours do . So go ride and enjoy the turkey . Im leaving this site .
  • saracen fan
    saracen fan Posts: 389
    errrrr........did I miss something?
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    errrrr........did I miss something?

Yeah he/her joined the site and posted spam for a product that just appears to me to be a scam. Got sussed so spat dummy out and wrongly stated I had a problem with brakes. I actually have had squealing brakes before but just sprayed cleaned my disc and sprayed the caliper/pads with hose pipe and this fixed the problem in 2 mins.
  • liverlips wrote:
    That photshop of the tub of product is hilariously bad. :lol:
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09