Wheel truing

scars
scars Posts: 360
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning All,

Ive just bought a bike via ebay and whilst ive not seen the bike in the flesh as of yet the seller has been honest and upfront with regards to the work that needs doing.

The thing is after purchasing the bike (Norco Sasquatch 2007) its pretty much exhausted my finances so im hoping to do as much work at home to save on costs. Now the one thing ive never ever tried doing myself in wheel trueing, the guy said that with a not so pumped up tyre it slightly rubs the inside of the stay,

Do you think this rim is too far gone to be saved? is there a limit to when a rim is savable or dead as a doe doe? if its saveable can anyone give me some tips on straightening her out? The wheel is a Sun Singletrack built onto a deore hub so not exactly the most exquisite wheel in the world but a replacement is likely to cost £60 which I havent got

Many thanks

Ian

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It may be a dishing problem.

The wheel may not be set true in the frame. That frame might have very small tyre clearence with a fat tyre so even the smallest of out of true is going to hit.

Need more info on the wheel and how buckled the wheel is, hitting the frame could depend on all the things above even if the wheel is 'straight'
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    Ok cool, im picking the bike up saturday so can assess it all then