Shimano HG-73 upgrade

tortoise not hair
tortoise not hair Posts: 32
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
am looking to replace my chain
it is fitted with a Shimano HG-73 but am looking to get a better harder wairing one but which one would suit?

rear mec SRAM X7
front mec SRAM X5
cassette SRAM PG950 11-32T
chainset Truvativ Firex 3.1 GXP 44/32/22T

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Sram PC-950, keeps it around the same level of components you have now. And has the power link to remove the chain.
  • Not sure that one chain is necessarily hader wearing than another.Its really down to frequency of cleaning,so one with a removable link makes it easier to take it off,and dunk it in a jar of degreaser.
    SRAM or KMC have the removable link,and if you go for apated one such as SRAM 971 or 991 they don`t rust,if left for any time unlubed.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Cheers for your suggestions.
    It may be naive of me but having spent £700+ on my bike I thought that £15 for a new chain was too cheap.
    Bike doesn’t have to hard a life but each time I replace a component I like to improve.
    Both looks and durability. So if I do leave it longer between lubes than I should I’m covered.
    Any thoughts aspirated
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Any thoughts aspirated

I'm quite certain that heavy breathing isn't necessary discussing bike chains, but whatever makes you happy.

Chains don't live forever. Keep it clean and lubed after each serious ride. Unless you're racing I can't see the point in upgrading chains - more money does not equal fit and forget. As above, chains with connectors are handy.