Stans 355 and yellow tape problems

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone advise me, been trying to inflate my UST tubeless tyre on one of my 355 rims and i am having no joy. I fitted the Yellow tape, inflated a standard tyre and tube on it, left it over night then installed my ust tyre and olympic valve. On first inflation to seat the tyre i get the tyre to 25-30 psi then i get a pop and the air escapes from the spoke nipple holes. Now this to me means the rim tape is lifting and allowing the air to escape. What am i doing wrong?

Does this join on the rim seem ok:
P1000464.jpg
P1000465.jpg
P1000466.jpg
P1000467.jpg

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I must admit I noticed the quality of the rim join on my flows, I can't say it looked as bad as that, but its hard to say with the weld all zoomed in.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    did you take time to degrease the rim first? And made sure the rim wasn't cold when the tape was fitted? My rims were covered in an oily residue when I went to put the Hope Hoops stickers on them
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Yep used 3M stuff as advised by stans and then degreased and cleaned them with meths.

Going to have another attempt later.
  • glen4
    that's a bit disappointing then, am gonna be attempting to do mine when my tape and valves turn up......
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    If you have rubbed the rim down and degreased it, the only thing can think of is you haven't put it on tight enough...you really need to pull and stretch the tape before you stick it..requires half decent strength to pull it tight enough...had a similar prob myself the first time I taped my rims.
  • Ordered some more 21mm tape as ran out of it now! Pulled like a good one on it when i did this one. It was properly rubbed with 3m stuff and degreased.

Will try once more and if that does not do it then its back to wiggle.
  • glen4
    did you manage to sort it Rick?
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Yes i did. Got another wheel from Wiggle, prepped and installed the yellow rim tape and i had no problems at all with tyre inflation on this one.