Another broken chain

galaxyboy
galaxyboy Posts: 168
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Only a few months ago my chain broke - I had never experienced one snapping before, now i have found a split in the one i replaced it with while cleaning it.
The first one (shimano)snapped after i changed it and the rear cassette after around 1000 miles and the new one (kmc?)maybe has the same miles on at the most so they are hardly worn out.
Can anyone recommend a decent chain that will last longer.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I cast my vote for installer error. Sorry, but that's the way I see it. Hard to believe
    2 bad chains in a row. Even if they were cheapo ones.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Post a pic, is it 10 speed KMC? There was a dodgy batch of em.
  • galaxyboy
    I'll try and get a pic of the split link tomorrow, it's about 3 links away from the connecting link and it's split from the centre to the outside edge so not much chance that it has caught on a tooth of the cassette or chainrings.

Thanks for the vote dennisn, it's always good to get constructive comments :wink:
  • dennisn
    galaxyboy wrote:
    I'll try and get a pic of the split link tomorrow, it's about 3 links away from the connecting link and it's split from the centre to the outside edge so not much chance that it has caught on a tooth of the cassette or chainrings.

Thanks for the vote dennisn, it's always good to get constructive comments :wink:

Hope you didn't take it wrong, but two in a row???? Did you use a master link on either of them or did you push the pin back in on the original installation? Have you taken the chains APART for cleaning on a regular basis?? How are you mechanics skills???
    Are you new at this or been doing chain fixes for years? :? :? :?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I use shimano/kmc chains, same thing, they last 2 years at least for me. I neve use the master link just use the fast link.
  • galaxyboy
    I have to admit to being an amature at replacing chains but have took to doing a lot of my own maintenance over the last couple of year. I clean my chains often but don't take them apart to do it. The first one was connected with a master link but i never found where/how it snapped but one half of a link was still there and snapped in the middle while going up hill. The kmc has a fast link but the break is not on that it's a couple of links away.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    Your chainrings aren't ridiculously worn by any chance?
  • dennisn
    galaxyboy wrote:
    I have to admit to being an amature at replacing chains but have took to doing a lot of my own maintenance over the last couple of year. I clean my chains often but don't take them apart to do it. The first one was connected with a master link but i never found where/how it snapped but one half of a link was still there and snapped in the middle while going up hill. The kmc has a fast link but the break is not on that it's a couple of links away.

I wasn't trying to say you did screw them up yourself. It's the two in a row that has me bothered. What are the odds of you getting one bad one right after another?
  • galaxyboy
    I'll try to upload pic of the split i have found in my current chain, hopefully you'll see there is no dammage to the chain apart from the split - luckily i found this one during cleaning - and yes i know it is dirty but there's no point in cleaning it now.

Sorry, i have no idea how to upload a pic to here. :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I cracked a couple of chains last year
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr