Oh no, not another one....

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
...I'm sorry to do this to you all but I need suggestions for s new bike on the C2W scheme. I know, I know, you're all sick of this type of thread but hopefully I've earned my spurs on this site. You all know me, hell I've even met a few of you for beers and you all know I'm not some drift in who you'll never hear from again, I'm even likely to be on the Feb social ride, so please, help me out...

Basically I'm looking to replace the trusty Apollo which was trashed in the accident in November. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a road bike with a smattering of Sora, perhaps a bit of Tiagra (or Campag equivalent) that's not a BSO. I would like to spend up to about £600, but I'll spend more if there's some very compelling reason. Just haven't had the time to go bike shopping...

With the other £400 I was thinking of getting new wheel(s) for the Focus Cayo. Anyone got any thoughts on decent road bike wheels at that price?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

With the other £400 I was thinking of getting new wheel(s) for the Focus Cayo. Anyone got any thoughts on decent road bike wheels at that price?

Fulcrum Racing 3 or 1's if you can stretch.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    using a decent title for your is good for getting help
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    davmaggs wrote:

I love irony :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Well you must try a few, but have a look at the Giant Defy 3 which has received good reviews.

£400 should get you a set of Fulcrum Racing 3s which I have been very happy with.
  • Headhuunter
    davmaggs wrote:

And what, may I ask, is wrong with the title? Should I have entitled it "What bike for £600 on C2W?"? I suspect it would have instantly plummetted to the bottom of the commuting forum if I had...
  • HH, would you consider a singlespeed?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    davmaggs wrote:

And what, may I ask, is wrong with the title? Should I have entitled it "What bike for £600 on C2W?"? I suspect it would have instantly plummetted to the bottom of the commuting forum if I had...

Don't have a go at me :P I was pointing out the missing word making the post complaining about the misleading thread title misleading! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    davmaggs wrote:

Don't have a go at me :P I was pointing out the missing word making the post complaining about the misleading thread title misleading! :D

Oh I see. I'll let you off... :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    HH, would you consider a singlespeed?

To be honest, probably not. I like my gears, love accelerating hard from the traffic at lights and also there's a fairly steep hill which I climb, with laden rucksack at the end of my commute (Telegraph Hill, New Cross) and anyway, I would like a bike that I could use at a stretch on a club run if the Focus is out of action
  • ...With the other £400 I was thinking of getting new wheel(s) for the Focus Cayo. Anyone got any thoughts on decent road bike wheels at that price?

Forget these fancy low-spoke-count new-fangled wheels and get some 'proper' wheels. :twisted:
    Harry Rowland Ambrosios (silver hubs, black rims) will set you back 260-ish the pair: bomb-proof, negligible weight difference, cartridge bearings, easily serviceable re: broken spokes and on my Cayo they really look the business!

However, YMMV...

Only a Pawn in their Game...
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

or how about one of these? I mean, they're very simple machines, not much to go wrong, low maintenance

draisien.gif
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    will3 wrote:

or how about one of these? I mean, they're very simple machines, not much to go wrong, low maintenance

draisien.gif
    Blondie, is that you?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Headhuunter
    will3 wrote:

draisien.gif

Yeah, I know I had an Apollo, but I have to draw the line somewhere...
  • will3 wrote:

draisien.gif

You could probably carry several children on the back of that, and drivetrain maintenance would be a doddle. I like your thinking.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Are you crazy? 8-spoke wheels, they'd snap as soon as you hung your shopping from the bars. Even if you're a racing whippet, I bet it's not race legal.

(having said all that, WANT)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    biondino wrote:
    Are you crazy? 8-spoke wheels, they'd snap as soon as you hung your shopping from the bars. Even if you're a racing whippet, I bet it's not race legal.

(having said all that, WANT)

Not if the spokes are cast iron.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Reckon the tyres are pretty puncture proof too.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008

I'm having a grumpy afternoon. I find it really annoying when I open a post to find I've wasted my time (I suppose this means I've wasted the time, that I was intending to waste on the forum). You've kind of admitted that you've done it deliberately to draw punters in so it proves my point.

Anyway I apologise for being grumpy. It wasn't meant as a dig just at you, and should go in rants or somewhere.
  • The entry level Boardman is about £600 with lots of good kit
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Build a time machine go back to 2008. Pay £600 for a alu frame and 105 groupset.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/viewfromth ... 185146183/

I saw a few before Christmas down in Portsmouth. They did seem to be actually rideable, though I'm not sure I'd take one up Box Hill.

They could have been SKy's new Dogma's made to look old and shabby to stop them being stolen though, now that I think of it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Here you go mate. Giant SCR 1 (105) rrp £850 discounted to £650.

Or Giant SCR 1.5 (Tiagra) for £650 down to £550.

Building that time machine seems like a more plausible option.

Ahhh 2008, the world was greener, cheaper and George W Bush was still in power making the World a safer place....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Well you must try a few, but have a look at the Giant Defy 3 which has received good reviews.

£400 should get you a set of Fulcrum Racing 3s which I have been very happy with.

As an owner of both a Giant Defy 3 and a pair of Fulcrum R3s - I'd have to say don't do this...

There's just something galling about putting £500 wheels (admittedly they can be found heavily discounted) on a bike totalling £575 last time I looked!?

The Defy 3 is a great entry level bike - and yes, the wheels are the first thing to look at upgrading - but R3s on a bike that doesn't quite manage a full Sora groupset even - come on.

You'd do much better to spend more of that £1000 voucher on a Defy higher up the range, get to at least Tiagra level, or the 105 if you can - the wheels get better as you get up the list.

R3s aren't really commuting wheels - I bought them for my sportive bike to save some weight... and put the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's from that bike onto the Defy...

The Alex wheels are in the shed just in case...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    For the love of god get thee to www.ribble.co.uk and grab an entry level carbon sportive which can be upgraded to the max as time allows, failing that take the cash spend it on beer and move to your nearest park bench, it's all good!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.