going by train.....

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I have next week off work and want to go somewhere for 2-3 days of riding. Catch is I have to travel by train. I don't want to spend a fortune getting there so the sleeper to Scotland is out.

I'd prefer the cheapest possible accomodation, so local B&B or youth hostel needed.

Any ideas?

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Wales and a tent :) Train to Port Talbot, 9 miles or so to Afan.
  • guilliano
    Been there..... want to go somewhere different.

Thinking about Bath (no idea what the riding's like there but I'm sure a member of staff will chip in) :D

Also thinking about Cannock and have found a B&B with vacancies......
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    peaks is easily accessible by train and plenty of youth hostel accom.

the cheapest accomadation i know of near a trail centre iis the bothy in coed-y-brennin: free, depends on how you feel about being out in the woods though...bit spooky by yourself...there is a stove and its dry.

I'm mulling something similar in west wales:

day 1 train to harlech or one of the little stations between there and barmouth and over the rhinogs, stay at the bothy,

day 2 CyB down to the youth hostel (kings?),

day 3 back to barmouth via the mawddach trail OR early start and cadair idris, bothy on top of cadiar idris or back to barmouth via the toll bridge

cadair idris probably not be feasible this time of year, especially by yourself but if its all open 2 days worth at CyB then back via dolly and the mawddach trail
  • guilliano
    Oooooh, Edale has just become an option too!!!!!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    tsenior wrote:
    I'm mulling something similar in west wales:
    day 1 train to harlech or one of the little stations between there and barmouth and over the rhinogs, stay at the bothy,
    day 2 CyB down to the youth hostel (kings?),
    day 3 back to barmouth via the mawddach trail OR early start and cadair idris, bothy on top of cadiar idris or back to barmouth via the toll bridge

cadair idris probably not be feasible this time of year
    Now there's a plan. I look after a friend's holiday cottage in Abergynolwyn and there is a lot of country laning and off piste biking around there. Could always head over towards Machynlleth for some retro trails if you're feeling adventurous or take the train to Towyn and start from there.

Cadair is an expedition this time of year but not so bad in February when there's more daylight.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    im planing a few day trips by train this year...
    places that iv considerd are Forest of Dean. its easy to access by train,
    Machntleth (im not sure how you spell....) is god becouse the trails start right in the town, there are 4 great trails, and its mega easy to get too by train. the peaks are prob good too. as is canock chase im told. there are plenty of places that are easyly accesible by train, it just atkes some reaserch, bristol i another i forgot to mention.....
    look for trails near towns, and yourwell away...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    guilliano wrote:
    You will need a knife and a big dog if you are thinking of staying at a B&B in Cannock :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    .blitz wrote:
    guilliano wrote:
    You will need a knife and a big dog if you are thinking of staying at a B&B in Cannock :wink:
    lol, that bad?!?!?!?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    lol, that bad?!?!?!?
    Yes :)
  • guilliano
    OK....... have narrowed the list to

Edale (YHA)
    Betws-Y-Coed (YHA)
    Forest of Dean (B&B)

All relatively cheap, all have some stunning riding.

Looking at Monday to Thursday next week. Just got to wait til Friday to get paid now. If anyone wants to volunteer local knowledge of any of the above........ :D
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2010
    guilliano wrote:
    OK....... have narrowed the list to

Edale (YHA)
    Betws-Y-Coed (YHA)
    Forest of Dean (B&B)

All relatively cheap, all have some stunning riding.

Looking at Monday to Thursday next week. Just got to wait til Friday to get paid now. If anyone wants to volunteer local knowledge of any of the above........ :D

Don't forget if you go to Betws, presumably to do the Marin then Penmachno is just down the road, well actually up the road. Neither The Marin nor Penmachno have Cafe/wash facilities.

Another option is the Lynn Cowlyd Killer loop although its likely to be (err no will be) very boggy at this time of the year.

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/CapelCurig.html

Probably one for the summer that.

or

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/MarinMoelSiabod.html

Although I've not done that one ^(yet).

More ideas here

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/WalesRoutes.html

What's the deal with Cannock chaps, rough then I take it?
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Dartmoor? 8)
  • .blitz
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    What's the deal with Cannock chaps, rough then I take it?
    There's nothing better than standing on top of the Chase on a cold winter's night and hearing the screams and sounds of gunfire coming from Cannock :)
  • tsenior
    Blitz: not been to mach but my mate raves about it, he stays in a tidy pub there when he goes biking.

"Cadair is an expedition this time of year but not so bad in February when there's more daylight."

har yes, i walked up there NYE 2009, went a stupid way end ended up climbing a frozen stream minus ice gear....had the wags with us as well, fair play to em.

only probelm with betws is the pubs are rubbish. theres a bunkhouse attached to the great pub in rhydd ddu, which gebnerally gets my custom when i'm in that part of the world.
  • .blitz
    tsenior wrote:
    har yes, i walked up there NYE 2009, went a stupid way end ended up climbing a frozen stream minus ice gear....had the wags with us as well, fair play to em.
    NYE 2009? It's a small world. It was cold on the top eh?
  • tsenior
    meant for NY2009 so 31/12/ 2008? Was such a beautifull day, crystal clear....came up from the car park at the top of the pass on A487 and round the whole "chair"...nice route
  • .blitz
    That as well :) Been going on NYE or NYD every year since 1995. And yes NYD 2009 was awesome: p1010046ob.jpg
  • tsenior
    yep i was :D like a maniac!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    guilliano wrote:
    Been there..... want to go somewhere different.

Thinking about Bath (no idea what the riding's like there but I'm sure a member of staff will chip in) :D

Don't bother, I live in Bath, but ride in Bristol (I've never really discovered the local stuff, which I think is fairly limited). Bristol at least is a mud bath at the moment and most of the people I ride with are sick of it and heading to Wales at the weekends to get some good riding in.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Also i woid avoid cannock just because i do not think the trail is worth traveling far for, the terain is nothing special so if any real distance is envolved i'd just skip this and head to real hills and mountains :)
  • .blitz
    Also i woid avoid cannock just because i do not think the trail is worth traveling far for, the terain is nothing special so if any real distance is envolved i'd just skip this and head to real hills and mountains :)
    Wise words. It's more of a fun local loop than a proppa trail centre. P2 will make it more worthwhile but you'll have to wait until Easter.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Machntleth (im not sure how you spell....) is god becouse the trails start right in the town, there are 4 great trails, and its mega easy to get too by train. the peaks are prob good too. as is canock chase im told. there are plenty of places that are easyly accesible by train, it just atkes some reaserch, bristol i another i forgot to mention.....

what train station is near Forest of Dean????

+1 for bristol, we have quite a few trails....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • tsenior
    theres one between glous and chepstow i think.
  • guilliano

Lydney..... there's a B&B about 2 miles from the station I was thinking about staying at.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    guilliano wrote:

Lydney..... there's a B&B about 2 miles from the station I was thinking about staying at.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 08647&z=12

I'd sure hope there were no hills en route.. be bloomin knackered by the time I got there!
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Go with Edale

Stacks of riding around, short train journey into sheffield if you fancy day off or you can always take the into sheffield and then bike back.

If you do go with Edale send me a PM and I can meet you on Tuesday and show you some of the good trails around there.
  • guilliano
    All booked! Travel up on Tuesday to Edale, head home Thursday afternoon. Will be my first visit to the Peaks so really can't wait!!!