Ultegra vs 105 cassette

Neillyy
Neillyy Posts: 15
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Just a quick question.

Would a 10 speed ultegra compact (11-28) work on a bike normal set for 105 (11-25)? Is this even worth doing?

I only ask because I have the option of a different cassette on a spare wheel.

Thanks
Neil

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think the general consensus(from previous related posts) is that the 11 tooth cog is basically useless. So go with a 12- 8) (whatever you're trying to say). Probably no real difference in an Ultegra vs 105 cog set. Ultegra is a bit lighter.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Shimano SAY the 11-28 cassette is only compatible with new Ultegra and Dura-Ace drivetrains.

In practice although I haven't tried it, it probably works fine with any of the old 10 speed groups- I know plenty who used SRAM 11-28 with that setup.

You may have to lengthen your chain and adjust the B-screw. If you have a short cage rear mech with the chain long enough to go into big-big it MAY be a little slack in the small-small combo. In practice it will probably work though.

I use 12-27 for climbing and that works well for me although I have a spare 11-28 which I may fit for the Marmotte this year. A friend used it for that and liked it although he wasn't keen on the gear spacing.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    blorg wrote:
    Shimano SAY the 11-28 cassette is only compatible with new Ultegra and Dura-Ace drivetrains.

In practice although I haven't tried it, it probably works fine with any of the old 10 speed groups- I know plenty who used SRAM 11-28 with that setup.

You may have to lengthen your chain and adjust the B-screw. If you have a short cage rear mech with the chain long enough to go into big-big it MAY be a little slack in the small-small combo. In practice it will probably work though.

I use 12-27 for climbing and that works well for me although I have a spare 11-28 which I may fit for the Marmotte this year. A friend used it for that and liked it although he wasn't keen on the gear spacing.

Whats is the 11 for going up the alpe? :D
    I hit 63mph downhill in marmotte and with a 11 would be physically impossible to kep up and would spin out, would need a 6 :D
    I just used a 13 with closer ratios for flat.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    blorg wrote:

What exactly did he use the 11 tooth cog for? :? :?
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    edited January 2010
    dennisn wrote:
    blorg wrote:

What exactly did he use the 11 tooth cog for? :? :?
    It was the 28 he wanted, I don't think he cared about the 11. There isn't a 12-28 from SRAM or Shimano, you have to go custom/esoteric. There were points during the Marmotte on the Galibier and Alpe I would have gladly taken another tooth on the back.

On that topic though the one and only time I felt I could have done with an 11 was the descent of the Galibier after the Lauteret. It is a pretty straight road with a relatively moderate gradient and I was trying to catch/stick with a fast group. The pace was hitting 65km/h and I really felt I could have done with a higher gear than 50-12. Would never have needed it on the other descents, they were steep enough that gravity looked after things, and I wasn't in a group. That is the only time I have ever wished for an 11, and in the scheme of things it a very small issue and small part of the day compared to the time I spent at the other end of the cassette.

I don't think you'd be hobbled at all on a 13 either, 13-29 would make a lot of sense if you were a Campagnolo man.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I swapped a 105 12-25 for an Ultegra 12-27. Did not need to adjust the rear mech at all. Noticed no appreciable difference other than the obvious easier gear.
  • I have a 11-25 on my bike with a compact 34-50 chainset. The ratio 11-50 is actually a pretty high gear and is higher than a 12-53.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I used 12/25 on marmotte and as mentione top speed 63mph, not km/hr and that was freewheeling not pedally so not sure why a 11 would be needed when only doing 65km/hr, get aero and yopu will go a lot faster than you can pedal with any gears, thats how pros do 100km/hr downhill, no pedalling, good aero.