bike radio/walkie-talkie's

teamtalairan
teamtalairan Posts: 175
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Does anyone use these? Any recommendations?
Between two riders.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    do you have a team car...?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Shouldn't be a need, just stick together...
    Racing Team territory, IMHO. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • NO! I'm just talking about two people riding together, one a couple of miles in front ... hardy, long range, easy to use radios....
    no one use them?
  • softlad
    NO! I'm just talking about two people riding together, one a couple of miles in front ...

two people riding together - a couple of miles apart..?? stuff the radios - you need to find some new riding buddies...
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Besides there's a radio ban.. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe some signal flags ?
    Semaphore ?

Why are you a couple of miles apart and need to talk.?

Either, and I know this may be controversial.......

1. Ride togehter.
    2. Use a mobile, but safely.

Or just mount a CB on your bars, "Breaker Breaker, this is Roscoe.P.Coltrane, you got your ears on, little buddy?" :wink:
  • do you ever wish you'd not asked a question! :oops:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used these on club training rides with a back up car - worked quite well but most of them wont do a couple of miles range - its more like a range of sight thing in practice.

I think the guy in front either needs to slow down a bit, or stop at the side of the road if he's turning.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    cannondale-touring-tandem-2008-tandem-bike.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    can understand the want for these, one of the main pulls for me to group riding is the social aspect of being able to chat to each other. However when your on main rodes in single file, it is very difficult and its not much different from riding alone. When it is icey and all you can do is stick to the main rodes I would love them

So anyone with suggestions would be welcomed :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • You see - you can depend on Will for a sensible reply! Thank you Sir Will! RISE SIR WILL!

The point is, I go out riding with my partner and I'm usually a mile or two ahead so instead of having to keep stopping or turning around, I can simply radio ahead with Voice actived control so no hands ....
    I have looked at both motorola tlkr t3 which are only £ 16 and get great reviews (although not handsfree) OR Binatone Terrain 550 which are only £35 which get great reviews too inlcuding the distance you can use them on.
  • softlad
    The point is, I go out riding with my partner and I'm usually a mile or two ahead so instead of having to keep stopping or turning around, I can simply radio ahead with Voice actived control so no hands ....

no offence fella, but your logic is seriously flawed. Why not just save your money and go riding on your own...??
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I have got 4 cheapish ones that I bought after my mate got a puncture at the top of a long descent (on MTB) and I had to cycle 4 miles back up just to find him replacing the tube and finishing off. I also take them skiing where I find them more useful.

TBH dont really use them anymore on the bikes as they are more hassle and have never taken them on a road ride, only MTB.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I have used them for mtb guiding, one of my blind clients wanted to try it as he sometimes gets a rush of blood and bombs off downhill and I can't catch up before the next bend.

voice activated ones are useful, but sometimes wind noise is all you can hear.

We gave up on it as I had to shout so loud on some occasions that he heard me from 10 m behind him, not over the radio.

He's learned that he can't get too far in front of me and still expect me to tell him what's happening.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    The point is, I go out riding with my partner and I'm usually a mile or two ahead...

So not actually riding with your partner then.

I have had many people (usually women) say to me, 'my husband/boyfriend is always miles up the road, it is demoralising and I've given up riding with them now'.

When you go out with a partner or friend, you are supposed to be out together, it's not a race. Your partner will not learn from your experience if you are not there to share tips and techniques. The just learn they don't like riding with you.

if you are going for a 'ride' with someone but are miles up the road, then you are just showing off, so stop[ showing off and ride 'with' you partner.

To make sure I've not forcing my wife to ride too hard, I mostly ride behind her, especially on hills. I know she is getting up them at her pace and not mine.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    Think this thread has gone a little OT..... :D

Interesting link here of some people using it for touring:

http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/radios.shtml

Thread here discussing actaul models:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/rec-bicycl ... cling.html

Cheers

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    I think this is a brilliant idea. I've just been examing my head and it appears that my ears were not designed to swivel backwards and listen to the person behind me. In fact, according to my wife - they are also not designed to listen to her when she is front either although I don't think her science is proven.

I like the idea of even having the remotest chance of sharing those 'oh shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit' moments and as I am the world champion at coming off my bike in a slow-motion 8 year old girl kind of way - I think the world would benefit from my experiences too.

I do get a kick out of hearing the other riders around me laughing, grunting, cussing and generally acting like children and for me - it ain't about the speed, time and all that. It is about sharing the experience, staying in one piece and having a good time. I get as much from being a part of YOUR ride as I do from mine which is why I talk to everyone and anyone. There are also a lot of times where riding with people all around you can be a very solitary thing. Strange, but true.

Also, I don't think it is very efficient when someone keeps shouting "Heap to kneel ground" time and time again...which to me sounds like a weird chess move. Until you get to a break where "Keep your fkin heels down!" becomes the first belated words of the discussion.

At some point and usually when someone has a mechanical failure - there is always one person out front just hitting that spot where they tuck in, let go of the brakes and put all their focus on the trail ahead. It doesn't take long before they are horizon bound and the inevitable digging for mobile phones 10 minutes later usually ends up with "Yes - we're still back here".

So, a big thumbs up for comms from me!
  • softlad wrote:
    do you have a team car...?
    Aggieboy wrote:
    cannondale-touring-tandem-2008-tandem-bike.jpg
    Thank you very much, I've just sprayed tea all over my computer screen :twisted:
    I go out riding with my partner and I'm usually a mile or two ahead so instead of having to keep stopping or turning around, I can simply radio ahead with Voice actived control so no hands ....
    I have looked at both motorola tlkr t3 which are only £ 16 and get great reviews (although not handsfree) OR Binatone Terrain 550 which are only £35 which get great reviews too inlcuding the distance you can use them on.
    I can imagine it now, teamtalairan bullying his partner via walkie-talkie.

"keep up fatty"

"why do I bother riding with you, you're useless"

"I'm clearly a better rider than you"

:D