Rear pannier rack advice

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have a Blackburn rack bought many moons ago for a Spec. Rockhopper which dates from (ahem) 1989. It's pretty clear that this won't fit the new Giant Talon1. Reason - cassette and the rear brake means the distance between the dropouts/ lugs on the frame is much too far.

Am I right in assuming this distance isn't really exceptional and that actually most modern rear racks for MTB's would fit the bill?

In terms of usage...along the lines of A Grand Day Out rather than Around The World In 80 Days! Your help would be most appreciated.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Its a difficult one to answer for disc brakes. Most modern rear racks will fit the holes where you need to screw it in but often the brake housing gets in the way. You can get disc specific racks which are wider with spacers built in but I managed to put a couple of washers in front of the screw hole on mine which allowed it to clear the brake housing - that is not always possible depending on the bike and positioning of bits & pieces. If you want to be sure buy a disc specific rack or I would suggest asking and perhaps trying one at your local bike shop.

Hope that helps.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    RonB wrote:
    I have a Blackburn rack bought many moons ago for a Spec. Rockhopper which dates from (ahem) 1989. It's pretty clear that this won't fit the new Giant Talon1. Reason - cassette and the rear brake means the distance between the dropouts/ lugs on the frame is much too far.

Am I right in assuming this distance isn't really exceptional and that actually most modern rear racks for MTB's would fit the bill?

In terms of usage...along the lines of A Grand Day Out rather than Around The World In 80 Days! Your help would be most appreciated.

I bought a rack myself not so long ago.

Have a look at the MTX Topeak beam rack, it attatches to the seatpost so doesn't require frame mounts.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/MTXBeamRackV-Type

But.........I'm now wondering whether I've made the right decision, after coming across this company

http://www.carradice.co.uk

Have a look at their saddlepacks, saddlebags and barbags in particular the SQR Trax and SQR Glentress saddlepacks. Depending on how much your planning to carry they could be a better (certainly lighter) option. You may not need a rack at all?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you can I would go for a proper mounted rack unless you dont want to carry much. Beam mounted racks cant carry the same weight and dont have a side frame to stabilise pannier bags and stop them from swaying into your wheels. OK for light loads in a top bag but not much more IMO.

If you dont have mounts on the seat stay you can get clips BTW.

I can actually use my rack when riding trails at Swinley with a pannier bag on no problem if I want to - not sure those carradice bags would be up to that.

I suppose a big advantage with a beam rack is ease of removal if you want to get rid of it for the rough stuff but to be honest I am happy to do anything with mine on. I dare say if I was into hardcore downhill & jumps etc I might feel differently...
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    apreading wrote:
    If you can I would go for a proper mounted rack unless you dont want to carry much. Beam mounted racks cant carry the same weight and dont have a side frame to stabilise pannier bags and stop them from swaying into your wheels. OK for light loads in a top bag but not much more IMO.

If you dont have mounts on the seat stay you can get clips BTW.

I can actually use my rack when riding trails at Swinley with a pannier bag on no problem if I want to - not sure those carradice bags would be up to that.

I suppose a big advantage with a beam rack is ease of removal if you want to get rid of it for the rough stuff but to be honest I am happy to do anything with mine on. I dare say if I was into hardcore downhill & jumps etc I might feel differently...

I would definitely agree with that my Toppeak Beamrack has a weight capacity limit of 9kgs.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    There are frame mounts on the Giant, so all options open I guess. Thanks vmuch for all the helpful suggestions.

RonB
  • Tyneamite
    Tyneamite Posts: 380
    I got a panier rack last year off fleabay cheap, it fits my gt outpost 09, perfectly there is some extra connections to lift it ofver and secure it to the gt frame and leave the discs and what not working great
    A bike is only as good as the rider!