Guys, recommend a COMFORT saddle please

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Did a 40 miler today (bloody cold it was too )and my rear end is killin me :cry: Not looking for a carbon this or that performance razor blade to sit on, just something wlth established well known comfort that is perfectly suited to long rides and not too expensive :P

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited January 2010
    Arione

PS you'll get the same answers as you got last time you started a saddle thread
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I like Charge Spoons, I've got them on all of my bikes, they're lightish, cheap come in 4 colours and are plenty comfy
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Charge Bucket - based on the original Selle Italia Turbo, or they've just brought out reproductions of the original. The Arione is comfortable due to the large area, but might not suit a rider without a'seasoned' posterior.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I use Brooks B17 (with the unnecessary side bits cut off to make them look a little less beardy) and a Charge Knife. Brooks are more comfortable, but the Knife weighs about 1/10th of the Brooks and is good for 100 mile rides.
    More problems but still living....
  • JimmyK
    Arione

this time i am only interested in saddles that are made to be kind to your butt , not interested in performance saddles at all.
  • redddraggon
    JimmyK wrote:
    this time i am only interested in saddles that are made to be kind to your butt , not interested in performance saddles at all.

Saddles that are comfortable are comfortable.

Definitely a relation of Will.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JimmyK
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    I like Charge Spoons, I've got them on all of my bikes, they're lightish, cheap come in 4 colours and are plenty comfy

charge_saddle_hi.jpg

there aint a lot of padding on that one , looks like it would cut the @rse of you, is this the one you are talking about ?
  • redddraggon
    JimmyK wrote:
    there aint a lot of padding on that one , looks like it would cut the @rse of you, is this the one you are talking about ?

You don't need padding for a comfortable saddle!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    A Titanium Brooks Swift will see your bum right
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    JimmyK wrote:
    Arione

Just read my signature man. Such a personal thing.
  • JimmyK
    Wiggle are selling the spoon for 22.95......great price !

who else will vouch for it, comfort is everything and if after 40 miles it is cutting the @rse of me, then it would be worthless. Performance stats dont count, its gotta be my bums best friend........who else will vouch for it ?
  • redddraggon
    JimmyK wrote:

who else will vouch for it, comfort is everything and if after 40 miles it is cutting the @rse of me, then it would be worthless. Performance stats dont count, its gotta be my bums best friend........who else will vouch for it ?

Just because loads of other people find it comfortable it doesn't mean you will.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    that said, the spoon has one of the highest approval ratings based on these forums, only a couple of people don't get on with them.
  • JimmyK
    i suppose a 23 quid punt aint too much of a risk, on visuals alone, i gotta say it looks like a vicious sod .........but a lot of reviews seem to focus on the comfort element.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    JimmyK wrote:

Nobody will vouch that it will be comfortable for you - because they can't.

Jimmy - did you ever bother to read the answers you got to the last thread you posted on saddles? There is no such thing as a saddle that is comfortable for everyone. Just take you chances like everyone else does.

Just follow this simple process:

1. buy a saddle. If you like it - great. If you hate it - tough sh1t.
    2. sell the saddle you hate
    3. refer to point 1
  • JimmyK
    ive placed an order for one , only way to find out. im hoping my sore @rse will thank me for it :lol:
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I use Arione's - as already said, saddles are personal and less padding doesn't mean less comfortable. Make sure it's set level - the best saddle in the world will cause pain if not set right.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    The best saddle in the world is:

mine :wink: sorry I know that doesnt help!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I use Arione's - as already said, saddles are personal and less padding doesn't mean less comfortable. Make sure it's set level - the best saddle in the world will cause pain if not set right.

But even that is personal - my Arione slopes toward the front a touch.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    JimmyK wrote:
    i suppose a 23 quid punt aint too much of a risk, on visuals alone, i gotta say it looks like a vicious sod .........but a lot of reviews seem to focus on the comfort element.

Ebay is usually a good place for swapping saddles. Once you find one that works,
    never let it go.

After many years, I found the Selle Italia Signo Ltd Edition as perfect for me.
    exercise.png
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I got a Specialized BG Avatar from the 'Reduction' bin at the local LBS. I find it really comfortable and a good price, (even at full cost).
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    JimmyK wrote:

The padding's in your bibs my good man.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • JimmyK
    im surprised at just how good the reviews were for the charge spoon , on visual inspection i had a review in my mind along the lines " cut the @rse right off me, even looks like it would cut the @rse off me before i even sat on it "

im hoping to get mine from wiggle about wed-thurs and if it cuts my butt ragged.......theres always fleabay i suppose :roll: for just 23 quid , i mean it really should be an @rse mangler.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    JimmyK wrote:
    im surprised at just how good the reviews were for the charge spoon , on visual inspection i had a review in my mind along the lines " cut the @rse right off me, even looks like it would cut the @rse off me before i even sat on it "

im hoping to get mine from wiggle about wed-thurs and if it cuts my butt ragged.......theres always fleabay i suppose :roll: for just 23 quid , i mean it really should be an @rse mangler.

Do you use chamois cream? If not then buy some. Your nether regions will be glad of it
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • try a san-marco rolls :D
  • Toupe Gel :)

If you don`t get on with the Spoon Jimmy, I`ll have it off you to see what I`ve been missing. Maybe we should have a set of "forum test saddles" that people can try out :D
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If still no joy, you could try the Selle Italia test programme.

http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html and click on test centre

+1 on the chamois creme also
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • JimmyK
    Toupe Gel :)

how would you know about rug gel johnny :wink:
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK wrote:

Do you use chamois cream? If not then buy some. Your nether regions will be glad of it

i bought a tub of sudocreme, still got the sore chuff though. :cry:
  • JimmyK wrote:
    Toupe Gel :)

how would you know about rug gel johnny :wink:

it`s not "rug gel", it`s "rug glue" that keeps it nice and tidy :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2