pain in the..............hip!

mellisr1
mellisr1 Posts: 67
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
any thoughts please.

Last year I suffered from some right hip pain. I went to paul hewitts for a bike fit and found that, amongst other things, had the saddle a bit too high (not much though) and I'd pushed it right forward (to counter what I peceived as falling off the front of the sit bones bit.

All adjusted including a longer stem, seat riight back and lower, all seemed fine. However, after the 3 weeks or so off after christmas, getting back on it, its back.

kind of a dull ache from round the front of the hip bone to outside of upper thigh and a general tightness and some what feel a bit like knock on slightly odd pressure in the knee.

Nothings changed on the bike (though I do ride a hybrid to work but thats only 3 miles each way and never bothered me before). I also don't think I've changed style.

Any ideas? did some searching on internet and tonnes of stuff, just don't know where to start. Any good stretches you could recommend? some articles suggesed cycling and office jobs shorten muscles which run from back through pelvis and out to hip./thigh. Alternatively, could cleat position (float) do this. the only thing I've done is allow my float to let the outer heal rotate out further from the crank (toe in) ever so slightly as it felt wrong the othe way.

Here's hoping or a recommendation of a good sports physiso from a cycling PoV in the Cheshire/manchester area (lets hope not)
thanks
Matt
Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Go and see a physio. They'll be able to advise on streches, which by the sounds of it is all you need. After years of cycling without stretching, I had all sorts of problems when I had an accident. An intense period of stretching really helped. I now stretch after every ride and have been great ever since
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Yes that def sounds like you need to do some hip flexor and poss t band stretches. I'll try find a link for the sort i do. do you stretch generally before/after workout?
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Agree also.

Hip flexor and IT band stretching and possibly some deep tissue work required to sort you out. I have a chap in Glasgow who does deep tissue massage and he has me in a whole load of pain doing my IT bands but it feels great after.

If you google the above for stretches you should get some pictorial explanations on line. Foam roller is also good for some home stretching.
  • Yes foam roller bloomin brilliant and oh my lord painful ... you may need to put a belt between your teeth when you first do it ... but then it gets better!
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Thanks for the tips as I think it might be what I have done after pulling my back a few months ago.
    Fingers crossed it is it.
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    I tracked down my pain in the bum and knee pain to piriformis syndrome aggravating a nerve - saddle too far forward. Pains are almost gone after days of specific stretching exercises - going to an NHS physio for a proper check up though as google and you tube are a dodgey path!!

By the by Matt I had pushed my saddle forward feeling I wasnt supporting my sit bones, but actually pushing it back helped, I know it sounds counter intuitive but it helped. Got there by checking my knee over pedal position.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • thanks guys.

glad you think specific stretching will help. I do do stretches after a ride (though maybe not after my short 3 mile commute which perhaps I should).

They are cycling stretches which a chiropractor gave as I go to them for back problems every now and again and I mentioned I'd taken up road cycling. However, I think they are fairly general and I cant say I do any which really specififcally target the area or cause me any real pain - but if it helps!!!!

thanks for the advice on the Saddle Macondo01. I agree sounds counter intuitive and I had probably done myself no good pushing it forward. Paul Hewitts had it as far back as it'd go and he did seem to suggest it could do with going further but that just wasn't possible with the saddle I have and the steat post and seat tube position etc. I've not checked the knee over pedal position since seeing as I figured it was a far as I could go with current set up - unless I can get a set back seat post?

I've decided that a good bike fit on a jig is useful before choosing the bike, then making sure your next one can mirror the position, rather than trying to change things after is the way forward - will probably pay for the cost of the fitting at least!

Cheers
    Matt
    Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
    Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    I use that stretch as well although I dont think I look anywhere near as good as she does. :wink:
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    Thats me of to the physio as I suffer from similiar pains...