Group riding for an unfit beginner - good or bad?

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello all

I've recently got back into biking after so long away that I now consider myself a beginner - and to make it worse a very unfit one.

I'm having loads of fun (despite it near killing me most times I go out), even to the point where I'm going out in my lunch break.

I've considered the idea of riding with a group (there is a local club, although I'd have to talk nicely to them as I don't know them) - firstly so that I can pick up some tips before I develop bad riding habits and secondly so that I can find some decent local routes. But being an unfit beginner is putting me off - I don't want to annoy the people in the group be being slow/incompetent which would then discourage me as well.

I guess the only idea is to keep riding on my own and hope I get fit enough to ride with a group before I develop too many bad habits. Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing?

P.S. Yes, I'm new. So hello, thanks for having me, and all the other polite introduction stuff :)

Comments

• DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Welcome

Try and find some local groups who run beginner rides.

In North Wales the North Wales Mountain Biking forum run a 'Slow One's' ride just for this purpose and it is a really effective way to get people involved and fitter.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    just go along for one and see, you may find they have a slower and faster group in which case you know which to go on first. If you think you're slowing everyone down, then don't go for a while, while you get fitter and make it your aim to be fit enough to join them.
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Where you riding ML? Seems there are quite a few retired racing snakes on here who are now built for comfort rather than speed.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Firstly Welcome to the forums.

One thing you will find is that the people on rides are usually a pretty helpful tolerant bunch.

As long as they see you doing your best they will help, even in a fast group there are very fast and not so fast.

Just go along, if at some stage you feel cream crackered or you feel that you are holding them up, you can always say you've had enough.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    It can be good as long as they don't mind waiting here and there. From your perspective you'll get to see some trails you might not know about and see what you might also be able to achieve.

If they are the kind of riders which will just ride on and expect you to catch up, then its not goods. Someone who is experienced in leading a ride will make sure everyone is together.
  • Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply - and for the welcomes.

It's good to know that most people out on rides are helpful and tolerant. The thing I don't want to do is test their levels of tolerance too much. Will just riding with others and watching (without stopping and asking how I do such-and-such) benefit my riding enough to risk getting on people's nerves?

@Frostys - I'm in Surrey, near Camberley. And I'm definitely built for comfort, although without having previously been a racing snake :D
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    You won't know until you try it. I myself am unfit and new to mountain biking and i'm sure none of the other riders were born on a bike. We all had to start somewhere and if the group is any good, they will remember that and be understanding and supportive. Look at it from a different angle. Don't get discouraged if you don't manage to keep up for them, but rather set a goal. Next time hit another extra mile, and then another, and another...Soon you will notice the progress and it will feel great to know all that hard work is paying off! Go for it and don't look back!
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • Phinx wrote:
    Don't get discouraged if you don't manage to keep up for them, but rather set a goal. Next time hit another extra mile, and then another, and another...Soon you will notice the progress and it will feel great to know all that hard work is paying off! Go for it and don't look back!

This is great advice and is the same same advice i follow, get youself a computer and try and do 1-2 mile more each time u go out. works for me :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yup, I agree with the comments that a good group will wait for you. If they don't wait, or take the pee too much (a little is ok!), then they're probably not worth riding with in my opinion...

I started from scratch (literally hadn't been on a bike for 20+ years) and rode with a group from the off. They are all pretty fast, but to their credit they waited for me to catch up, didn't make a big deal of it and hence I stuck with it. Now it's a few years on, and to be honest i'm still one of the slower ones but I can give the others a good run for their money on the technical bits!

I say join the group, enjoy riding, learn some new routes and make some new friends :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just have a chat with them, some groups really are pretty competitive and won't take too kindly to a slower rider- though they seem to be the exception. Not going to say there's anything wrong with that, everyone rides their own way. The big downer is that you'll probably always be last to arrive at any rest stop, which mean they'll all be rested and you'll still be knackered when you all ride on! Vicious circle, this can really grind you down.

But, many groups will be absolutely fine with a slower rider, certainly mine was with me, and now that I'm not slowest I'm always fine with waiting for whoever is, chance for a breather and a chat and the all important faffing around with imaginary bike problems.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • @monkeylizard
    Living near Camberley I'm gonna make the assumption that you were looking at riding with the tunnel hill trolls? (correct me if I'm wrong)
    I rode with them once and they are a great bunch of friendly geezers, but not really my riding style, I'm more into freeride and they ride xc/trails, so I didn't ride with them again.
    I found they were tolerent of me being much slower which was good as I did struggle to keep up.
  • Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

@Northwind - I agree completely. I have no problem if a group is competitive and don't want to hang around - I wouldn't dream of joining a group and expect them to change things just for a beginner.

@Firestarter - you are indeed correct. Tunnel Hill is almost literally on my doorstep and the army land it's part of is where I do most of my riding at the moment. But I believe (could be wrong, though) that a number of the Trolls race regularly, which to be honest is a bit intimidating right now.
  • Frostys
    ML I totally understand your anxiety about riding with guys who race regularly. I rode out with the Bucks MTB website guys for the first time just before Xmas and the race team lead the ride whilst I brought up the rear, in a selfless act to ensure we left no one behind (ahem cough cough.)

I soon had my fears calmed they were very understanding and did a great job of keeping the group together with regular stops to catch up and I would imagine the crew your going with would be much the same. Everyone has to start somewhere and it doesn't help anyone if they blast off and totally destroy what little confidence you have built up.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    yea as everyone seems to have said...

ride witha group of people who know you are likely to be slow and arrange points where you will all meet up (ie they can ride off and meeet you at the top of a hill or by a gate etc)

thats how we opperate in wilts with "settingascene.com" we only started the group becasue we were in exactly the same boat. and have since found other slower riders to ride with :D
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • Thanks again, everyone. I guess I'll just have to give it a go and hope for the best.

Having been out on Saturday for my first off-road night right alone, I can see there are some situations where riding in a group might be better :)
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I have spent the last year or two thinking exactly the same thing, not wanting to join the groups who get together on here and thinking that the trails I see in the mags are for people who know what they are doing and weigh less than my left leg.

This year though, I decided to turn this on it's head. I went out for my first ride of the year yesterday, a road trip with my local CTC group. The pace is about right for me and I struggle on the uphill bits, but I intend joining them regularly and also get out at least once a week off-road with the end goal bring a trip to Llandegla in the summer.

I also hope to post on this forum and arrange a day in the Peak District for unfit people, but I want to get some miles in my legs before I do that!!! :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Frostys
    @ Cheshley sounds like a plan I'd be up for a fat and forties day in the Peaks wheezing up hills and wobbling down, be sure to post a date if you sort it out
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Cheshley
    Frostys wrote:
    @ Cheshley sounds like a plan I'd be up for a fat and forties day in the Peaks wheezing up hills and wobbling down, be sure to post a date if you sort it out

HEY!!!!!! Who are you calling 40.................? :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Frostys
    he he he... apologies for being ageist.. seriously though would anyone else be up for a non racing snake day out group ride? worth a seperate thread rather than hijack one?
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    I might be but I'm such a newbie that I haven't even taken delivery of my bike yet and haven't been on a bike for about 15 years. I've also got to sort out all the accessories including a rack or roof bars for the car. If it's fairly soon it might be too early for me but otherwise I could be interested.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Frostys
    @ Dan it was about a 15 year gap for me too, haven't bothered with the rack or bars yet just pop the front wheel off and stick it in the back of the car. What bike are you waiting for?
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • dan1502
    I'd rather not say about the bike until it arrives - I don't want to tempt fate! Suffice to say I started with a budget of about £300-400 for a second hand bike and ended up spending more or less double on a new but old model bike which had an RRP of double what I spent so hopefully it should be more than up to the job - I can't wait to get it!

The reasons I am looking for a rack are that I don't want to get the car filthy and a mate of mine who is a keen cyclist and mountain biker but has not managed to get out for a while has said he'd be happy to join me and show me the ropes. He recently bought a Z4 so has no way to transport a bike. A rack would therefore be useful.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Cheshley
    Thread posted in MTB Rides re a slow ride for unfit people.

Apologies for Hijack.

Sorry.

Gets coat and leaves.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• dan1502
    Frostys wrote:
    @ Dan it was about a 15 year gap for me too, haven't bothered with the rack or bars yet just pop the front wheel off and stick it in the back of the car. What bike are you waiting for?

Well I should get it today. I know it's on it's way so the sale hasn't fallen through so as long as it's as described then all is well. It's a brand new 2008 model Kona Kula Deluxe 29er. I can't wait. It's probably way too good for a beginner like me but I figures I could have bought a new bike for around £500 - £600 or get a £1,500 RRP bike half price. In the unlikely event I don't get into it, it should sell for a decent price.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    Did it arrive ? :)
  • Monkeylizard,

Like you I am almost 20 years and about 5 stone since I last rode a bike with any gusto. Just getting back into the swing of things, albeit slowly.

I am in Lightwater if you want to get out one weekend. Can't promise any rollercoasters or that you won't pick up bad riding habits.

All the best

Mark.
  • Shoes
    Shoes Posts: 19
    I'm in exactly the same situation, my GT is still on its way to me.... seems like its taking forever, but i only ordered it friday.

whereabouts are you based? i'm going to be going on a few gentle rides on cannock chase soon if you want some novice company?
    Stafford Photographer - Lawtonsoul Photography

All of your photographic needs covered, from portraiture to weddings.