Alternative to Hope Pro II hub

hoberinos
hoberinos Posts: 27
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm looking for a new rear hub and really like the idea of sealed bearings (instead of fall-out-all-over-the-floor Shimano XT), so the excellent Hope Pro II looks like a winner, but I'm not sure I can put up with the sound!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    XT bearings are also sealed.

is it the cratridge bearings that apeal to you more?

dont forget an XT or highter level cassette is needed on the Hope Alloy freebody.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Buy the hope and take the freehub off and fill it with axle grease and put it back on top quality hub, no noise.

Although why on earth you'd want to stop the sexy hope noise coming from your hub is beyond me :lol:
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Although why on earth you'd want to stop the sexy hope noise coming from your hub is beyond me :lol:

+1 - Sounds lovely, and a much better alternative to a bell.... :lol:
  • Stav83 wrote:

+1 - Sounds lovely, and a much better alternative to a bell.... :lol:

I have both on my commuter :lol:
  • nicklouse
    is it the cratridge bearings that apeal to you more?
    Yes, I guess that's what I mean! :oops:
    I made a real mess of my Shimano hub a while back trying to fix it. LBS to the rescue...
    dont forget an XT or highter level cassette is needed on the Hope Alloy freebody.
    Good to know thanks. What about SRAM cassettes?

Gypsum_Fantastic
    Thanks – really?

Stav83
    Good point!
  • nicklouse
    same rules XT or above. so a 990

and put too much grease in and it can stop working.

and be aware that there have been some Pro two that have had serious hub failures.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • same rules XT or above. so a 990
    Why is this?

And I thought the grease options sounded a bit dodgy...

I was under the impression that Pro II were generally the best?
  • To answer my own question, direct from Hope:
    we try and recommend a cassette that uses a carrier and not seperate sprockets as we use a alluminium freehub and if seperate sprockets are used then they will dig into the alluminium and damage the spline but there is a steel version available seperate if you wanted to change your freehub that would cope with the forces better and also when tightening the cassette it is really important that it is tightened sufficiently.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Buy the hope and take the freehub off and fill it with axle grease and put it back on top quality hub, no noise.

No noise because that treatment would stop the freehub from working altogether.

Nuke Proof, American Classic, Fire Eye are all viable alternatives, but personally I'd go with the Hopes purely because they're British.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    oh and there have been more broken Hope hubs on here than any other, what with split bodies and broken flanges.

Hope is no way the best hubs out there.
  • dave_hill wrote:
    No noise because that treatment would stop the freehub from working altogether.

Worked perfectly for me when I discovered it by accident :wink:
  • TBH I would go with Hope, some people on here seem to have a downer on them but they have fantastic after care and backup from the times I have needed it which i hasten to add is not very often.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited January 2010
    I can never remember the model name, but there's at least one DT option with an alloy freehub body, which works out both light, and less horrible sounding than a Hope... 240S, is it? Expensive though.

You can put a steel freehub on a Hope, if you want, but it makes it weigh nearly as much as an XT and it's a cost extra so you end up paying out twice.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    TBH I would go with Hope, some people on here seem to have a downer on them

not at all Just the Pro 2.

my Bulbs are fine.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'd swap my ProII for a set of XC hubs any day of the week

Saying that I've had no problems with the ProII, apart fron the 'normal' freehub body issue of it becoming gouged.

Thanks Orange for fitting a PG950 cassette onto a ProII hub.

Been fine since I fitted an XT cassette though.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • So... XT would be good, but I'd really prefer cartridge bearings.

Thanks Northwind. DT 240s do look nice, but they are pricey aren't they!!

Any other options?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also Halo, DMR Revolver, NukeProof generator, Empire.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    hoberinos wrote:
    I was under the impression that Pro II were generally the best?

Not even close.

My personal favourites are DT Swiss hubs.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    nicklouse wrote:

980 is on a carrier, isn't it?
  • nicklouse
    GHill wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

980 is on a carrier, isn't it?

only for the 3 big rings.

the 990 does 5. and i forget what XT/XTR have. IIRC SLX has 3 on a carrier like the 980
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Ah right. Thanks.
  • Get XT and learn how to adjust cup and cone bearings properly. :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Nobody has mentioned the Superstar Superleggera yet?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... ucts_id=81
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Why does nobody make an alloy hub for XT? Seems like it'd be a winner...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    the hub is alloy. the body is not. as the body would cut up to much.

Shimano have been there before.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    what about if I want the option to upgrade/change the axle type like in the pro2, what other hub manufacturers support this too?
  • Andy
    MeddlE wrote:
    Nobody has mentioned the Superstar Superleggera yet?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... ucts_id=81

I've been tempted to try a superleggera rear hub actually but never got round to it.
  • nicklouse
    many.

but mostly ones using cartridge bearings.

more do the front axle changes but less do the rear. as there is less call for it.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I've been tempted to try a superleggera rear hub actually but never got round to it

I've had mine since last May and they have been flawless, 120 point engagement can get addictive..noticeable difference in acceleration. Very well made..and currently £110 pair I believe.
  • Andy
    stu8975 wrote:
    I've been tempted to try a superleggera rear hub actually but never got round to it

I've had mine since last May and they have been flawless, 120 point engagement can get addictive..noticeable difference in acceleration. Very well made..and currently £110 pair I believe.

No point me buying a front one! Just the rear hub I want to try so will just get a back wheel.