Boardman Comp XL suitable for 6ft3 rider?

S0rin
S0rin Posts: 106
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
I’ve used checked a few size guides and have used a fit calculator and they seem to suggest a 60cm bike would be the best fit for me. However, the Boardman Comp XL is only 58cm.

I wondered if anyone around 6ft3 has the Boardman Comp XL, or tested it? – and if it is suitable for them.

Cheers

Comments

• The XL should be ok, I tested a large and I am 6 foot, but I have weird proportions, and that was slightly on the big side. You should really go try one out, as I did, but changed my mind about it. It all depends on your propotions.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes its the right size.
  • tobciocc
    tobciocc Posts: 276
    I reckon it might be too small, the headtubes for instance are tiny on the Boardman's. I'm about your height and struggle to find road frames to fit me properly.
    Gabba Gabba Hey
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    Go and sit on one, but I think it will be fine.
  • stubee
    stubee Posts: 25
    Hi im 6f 6 and have always ridden 58cm even when 60s are available i think 58 is fine.
    Play for more than you can afford to lose.......then you will learn the game. (winston churchill)
  • I recently got the Limited Ed Team Carbon and from memory the frame sizes are the same across the board. I'm 6'4 and the XL was the one that fitted me so I'd say that it would be fine for you, but you'll only know if you go and sit on it and ask them to make the adjustments you feel it needs to make it fit you. I was lucky in that Halfords ordered in an XL to try for size and when I went to try it I borrowed their allen keys, put the bike in a display stand and set it up to my preference.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • S0rin
    S0rin Posts: 106
    Cheers for the answers
  • I'm 6ft 5 and have the Pro Carbon which as previously mentioned is pretty much the same sizing wise.

I've found that the frame was ok but the Ritchey seatpost was short and had to buy a longer one.

All good now though!
    Giant NRS-1

Boardman Carbon Pro
  • 58cm might be the actual seat tube length on the Boardman XL bike.

You need to add something, maybe 5cm, to find what the length of the seat tube would be if the frame had a horizontal top tube.

It may be better to look at the length of the top tube and the head tube when considering frame size. In any case, always try for size before you buy!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    the seat tube is 57.5 cm top 58.5cm head 18.5cm
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    I'm 6'4" and have the XL. I have a long torso, and only 33" inside leg, and find the XL fine for me.

Not many Halfords will let you test ride it (!), but I went to a Bikehut (in Dorking) and they were very happy for me to take it out for a spin.